GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting a 2" bodylift on my OBS K2500 suburban and plan on putting 35" on 20" Wheels/tires.

I'm looking for a stealthy creative way to trim my bumper that will not draw "too" much attention.

Please post pictures of your trimmed OBS trucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think 35s will be tight. I have a 6" lift and trimmed the valance and the back of the fender where it roles under. All this to clear 35s. As for trimming the bumper, I will be curious to see what you come up with though, so please post pics when you do it and like Butch said, follow the contour of the bumper and not mony people will even catch it.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Remove lower valence. OBS look good without them. Trim bumper enough to clear the tires. I like to use tape to make lines then cut along the tape. On the back side of the fender cut the bottom side of the fender so you really cannot tell it has been cut from the side. You can use a hacksaw, reciprocating saw, or a cut off wheel on a die grinder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when you trim try to keep the contours the bumper the same if you catch my drift. my bumper is trimmed in this pic
I get your drift and that's what i'm thinking. I see others who angle or cut the valance and/or bumper outside the natural contours of the original bumper and it don't look clean.

The 35" inch tires with only a 2" bodylift will be tight but i'm attempting it to look as clean and close to original as possible.

The original 245-75-16 tire diameter is right ~31". The 35" tires will be of course 4" larger but only 2" of that will be going into the fender wells. So my thought is just doing a 2" body lift to get me the same factory tire to fender spacing, measured from the top of the tire.

I don't want a big lifted suburban so I believe if I do my homework correctly, this project will net me the look that I want.

The picture above is from another site and this truck has a 2" bodylift with 3/4" torsion bar crank. 35" tires.

This has a 2.5" Rough Country lift kit with 35" tires.

This just have a 3" bodylift and 35" tires on 17" rims.

No lift, no cranking. Stock suspenion with 35" tires just trimmed.

Just 3" bodylift with 315-75-16 or 35" tires.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Yeah you'll be fine. I would suggest a good crank and some 2" lift shocks just for the front though ($80 on ebay) don't be surprised if you still rub

·
Registered
14 Posts
pushin this back up...

I need to trim my front bumper to clear my 35/14.5/15's. I've already got a 6" lift, so I don't need much clearance, but I'm hitting the bumper itself with the valance already trimmed.

Any suggestions on how to keep the cut area from rusting on chrome bumper?

Any close up pics of this particular trim on other OBS rigs?

I've got the fender trim portion of this figured out, so that's not an issue.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
We have cut Cajun4x4's chrome bumper and it hasnt rusted yet. If it worries you get some aluminum paint and paint the raw edge.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
We have cut Cajun4x4's chrome bumper and it hasnt rusted yet. If it worries you get some aluminum paint and paint the raw edge.
Either that or get some clear finger nail polish.

·
South Paw
335 Posts
Big tire + no trimming = success!

and I'm sorry, but unless your OBS is extremely clean, 20's and 35's is going to come out looking like dookie
:word::imo
It's hard to make 20s and 35s work on a OBS. It's been done plenty of times, but it's hard to do because not very many rim/tire combos look good on the OBS as well as the truck needs to be clean as fuck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts