GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new 09 Silverado ext. cab 4x4. It has the 4.8l motor in it. Not to fimiliar with it but there are alot out there. Thanks

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
:down: in an ext kab 4x4.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Everybody on this forum shits on the 4.8, but I bet it doesn't really suck that much, you just can't expect to outrun the nearest Camaro. Are you in any hurry?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
How much more does a 5.3L cost? :hmm: I don't see it being much more.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Everybody on this forum shits on the 4.8, but I bet it doesn't really suck that much, you just can't expect to outrun the nearest Camaro. Are you in any hurry?
It's not bad but it has a small bore combined with a short stroke that kills torque and horsepower at a very little if any efficiency increase in comparison to the 5.3 which has the same bore but a longer stroke.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I bet you get the 4.8 with a much steeper discount because nobody wants it...and I bet it's faster than a 1985 5.8 was given an equal-weight truck.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
GM needs to offer that 4.2L I6 as a base truck motor. It's great.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I bet you get the 4.8 with a much steeper discount because nobody wants it...and I bet it's faster than a 1985 5.8 was given an equal-weight truck.

Oh yeah, the Fords were terrible then. lol 302 was 185hp/270tq, 351 was 205hp/330tq if memory doesn't fail me. Power was gone by 4000rpm.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
The fact that V6 fullsizes actually sell is silly. Most V8 trucks get better mileage than the V6 trucks.
:word: when shopping for mine, 4.3 was not an option, hell 4.8 was not even as well for just $600, it's a no brainer.

The 5.3 is no 408 or anything, but the difference in the low-mid range torque are what sets them apart. I can pull 2-3 lengths on a 4.8 RCSB before 25MPH.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
:word: when shopping for mine, 4.3 was not an option, hell 4.8 was not even as well for just $600, it's a no brainer.
not really, at least in my case. My truck was a "deal" they had hidden in the back. I was going to get a W/T one but then he came out with that and said we could do the deal i wanted on it. Its power everything just an LT w/ 4.8

I dont mind the motor at all.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
not really, at least in my case. My truck was a "deal" they had hidden in the back. I was going to get a W/T one but then he came out with that and said we could do the deal i wanted on it. Its power everything just an LT w/ 4.8

I dont mind the motor at all.
It's better than a 4.3.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts