GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck is summitt white. my sprinklers were htting the side of my truck for a few days and left water spots. I just washed the shit out of my truck and the entire drivers side is still literally rough to the touch. I usually use a clay bar after washing when doing detailing like this, but the clay bar wont do shit. I want to polish my whole truck then wax it.

I dont remember the name of the brand, but a member from here sent me a medium and fine polishing compound, some wax and pads. I have polished it a few times and it turned out great each time. I just havent done anything this heavy duty yet.

would it be safe to skip the clay bar and just polish?

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Problem with that is if the pad picks up a contaminant you'd be dragging it all over your paint just causing more problems. You may think the claybar isn't doing anything, but it is.

If it were me I'd clay the whole thing first just to be safe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
most of it is coming out and its taking a long time, but no matter how much i clay, its not coming out 100%

I tried polishing, 2 steps and the paint comes out awesome, but the spots are still there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, this is what I started with

DSCF7288.gif

THIS IS WHAT THE FENDER LOOKED LIKE AFTER THE CLAY BAR

DSCF7289.gif

BUT YOU CAN SEE UP CLOSE THAT SOME OF THE SPOTS REMAIN

DSCF7290.gif

HERE YOU CAN SEE HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE THE CLAY BAR MAKES, BUT SOME SPOTS STILL REMAIN.

DSCF7296.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:whoa: how hard is your water dude? damn.
HAHA some of the hardest water in the country. where I live is very windy, so the sprinklers come on, the wind is blowing sand already (we're in the desert) the water and sand mixes right before it hits my truck, then im stuck with this.

I started with Poorboys 2.5. Do you think I might have to start with something more coarse?

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
holy shit.

that looks more like calcium than rust though.

maybe try a medium clay bar, it will come with some marring of the paint but you're going to have to polish it again anyways.

what pad/polish were you using?

edit: SSR2.5 huh?

You might have to go a couple passes with SSR3 if you have it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is that the next step down? I don't know anything about paint polishing products. I refinish marble and other stone for a living, so the process is actually quite similar, I am comfortable polishing, I just don't know what to use.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,153 Posts
is that the next step down? I don't know anything about paint polishing products. I refinish marble and other stone for a living, so the process is actually quite similar, I am comfortable polishing, I just don't know what to use.
SSR3 would be the next step up in "harshness" of the polish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
holy shit.

that looks more like calcium than rust though.

maybe try a medium clay bar, it will come with some marring of the paint but you're going to have to polish it again anyways.

what pad/polish were you using?

I have a orange pad for the 2.5, a white pad for the next step up polish (forgot the name) and a black pad for the wax

It is basically pure calcium.

I am using the makita 9227c on 900 rpm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SSR3 would be the next step up in "harshness" of the polish.
Gotcha

I also have two clay bars. the cheap white one that comes in the mothers kit, and a softer yellow clay i forgot where I got it. i am using the mothers spray for the clay bar.

Who is a good vendor to buy from, all I got were small bottles, and they are pretty much gone. any members I can support on here that sells these products?

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
that is some of the nastiest water spotting I've ever seen... wow.

You've mentioned you've been using SSR, but have you tried a cleaner polish?? Sometimes when I'm dealing with harsh spotting that the clay won't take care of and the standard polishes are having a tough time with I hit it with a pass or 2 of adams revive first and then again with the more aggressive polish... just a thought.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
your dads truck has flames? :blah:
I know, I tried to talk him out of it. He wishes his truck was all white after I got mine.
that is some of the nastiest water spotting I've ever seen... wow.
It was pretty bad. Ground water around here is terrible and my Dad doesn't dry his truck off after he washes it. It took me almost 3 hours of claying alone to get it off the truck.

My arms were dead after that detail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found some premium turtle wax polishing compound. I hit it on the fender, it looks a lot better, but there are still some minor spots left. I can live with it at this point, but if I'm going through all this trouble I might as well get it 100% done.

So I'm thinking a claybar thats a bit more coarse, some ssr3, ssr2.5 and the next step ssr (#?) and some wax.

How often do you change the pads? should one of each last for the whole truck?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts