GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after running rich for awile and having 55k hard miles, im going to replace my plugs. What are the best plugs to replce them with, and can you get any noticable power/mpg gain from new wires? If so what do you recomend?

·
Registered
787 Posts
on my last chevy 4x4 i had to replace my plugs and bought just the regular ac delco plugs with new wires (not the bottom of the line but surely not the top, somewhere in the middle) and my truck ran 50% better than it did. as far as performance i wouldn't see where spending 6 bucks a spark plug is worth the actual gain you get. my cousin had a mustang 5.0 and it had regular old factory plugs, he went and put top of the line performance plugs and wires on there and i honestly couldn't tell you the difference.......but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
DaHoe4x4Ag said:
on my last chevy 4x4 i had to replace my plugs and bought just the regular ac delco plugs with new wires (not the bottom of the line but surely not the top, somewhere in the middle) and my truck ran 50% better than it did. as far as performance i wouldn't see where spending 6 bucks a spark plug is worth the actual gain you get. my cousin had a mustang 5.0 and it had regular old factory plugs, he went and put top of the line performance plugs and wires on there and i honestly couldn't tell you the difference.......but that is just my opinion.

From what I've seen, the "gains" seen by putting in fancy spark plugs come from the fact that the old ones were worn out and not working correctly anyway. So, when they put in this fancy overpriced 4 electrode or split tip or whatever plug, people say "WOAH! this is amazing!", when in reality, its no better than a stock plug but seems like it because the old ones were worn out.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
I put Bosh Platnum 2's and 8mm wires in my truck. It help minimaly. It still had a cold low speed hesitation (anybody else have this? 350 vortec). The one thing i did to my truck that felt like turning on nitrous was replace my fuel filter. Better top end and no more hesitiation, or not 1/2 as bad anyways. My mpg went up about .5 going from 100Kmile+ acdelcos to the Bosch Platnum 2's.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replace my fuel filter every 20k or so, matetr of a fact just did it when I was under there. Having your fuel system laying under the truck drained makes it kinda stupid not to do it while your there!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Whifflebat said:
From what I've seen, the "gains" seen by putting in fancy spark plugs come from the fact that the old ones were worn out and not working correctly anyway. So, when they put in this fancy overpriced 4 electrode or split tip or whatever plug, people say "WOAH! this is amazing!", when in reality, its no better than a stock plug but seems like it because the old ones were worn out.
yea the only reason my red chevy ran better was because 2 of my plugs were completely shot. my truck was missing really bad when i would give it gradual acceleration so i changed them and bam...............lots better

·
Registered
787 Posts
CowboyKyle said:
I put Bosh Platnum 2's and 8mm wires in my truck. It help minimaly. It still had a cold low speed hesitation (anybody else have this? 350 vortec). The one thing i did to my truck that felt like turning on nitrous was replace my fuel filter. Better top end and no more hesitiation, or not 1/2 as bad anyways. My mpg went up about .5 going from 100Kmile+ acdelcos to the Bosch Platnum 2's.

i was talking to a mechanic awhile back and he said to never put bosch plugs in a gm truck.......don't ask me why......sounded kind of stupid to me

·
Registered
378 Posts
yay the fancy stuff is ok. i went to the tr55 from the auto parts. whole set is around 20.00 bucks. i have had the best luck with them. and i like the taylor wires

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I use copper core TR55s and run Taylor wires. You won't gain anything unless yours are in poor condition.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just figured I would replace them since mine probably arnt in the best condition. Might as well replace them with something good!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I hear ya, I am all about Prev Main. I change my plugs ~25K on the Z. Keeps it running the best it can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts