GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Maroon,Black,Chrome
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i polish on the truck white pad, with ssr1 or optipolish. when i do all that is left is an infinite amount of fine scratches, not a fluid, no scrath part. it is annoying in direct light or sun it looks like a haze or lines. how do i stop this, it esp apparent on the newly painted parts.

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
SSR1 is not really going to remove a lot of "scratches." How long are you working the product? How big of a section? Are you wiping everything off?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
SSR1 is not really going to remove a lot of "scratches." How long are you working the product? How big of a section? Are you wiping everything off?
neither is the white pad. try starting out with the orange pad as ssr2 then step to ssr1 and white pad

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
when i polish on the truck white pad, with ssr1 or optipolish. when i do all that is left is an infinite amount of fine scratches, not a fluid, no scrath part. it is annoying in direct light or sun it looks like a haze or lines. how do i stop this, it esp apparent on the newly painted parts.
hmm, do you mean that these are "new" scratches that werent there before ssr1? From your description, I'm almost picturing that you're getting some holograms/buffer trails, or something like that. Can you elaborate a little so we can get you through this. :thumbsup:

·
Maroon,Black,Chrome
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I am starting with ssr 2 and a orange pad then i step to a white pad a ssr1. on some smaller (light) scratches i just do the white pad and i get theses tiny scratches. I know they are new beacause on the parts i went over with the buffer and just the white pad were done by the body shop and my section had the very tiny, nothing scratches. It seems like there should be one mopre step to remove those. i do a fairly small size area and make sure i work it in.

·
Registered
687 Posts
So you're saying it's happening on fresh panels?Like new paint?How long ago was that?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
hmm, do you mean that these are "new" scratches that werent there before ssr1? From your description, I'm almost picturing that you're getting some holograms/buffer trails, or something like that. Can you elaborate a little so we can get you through this. :thumbsup:
That's what I believe it is as well.

Chris, how do you go about removing them

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
what are you doing AFTER the polish? glaze? sealant? wax? if your doing some of these, i wonder if they arent cured on the paint long enough, so when u remove with microfiber, it leaves tiny trails that appear as scratches.

·
Maroon,Black,Chrome
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the panels that are greatly affected were painted last weekend, basically i am touching up their work, but the parts that they have buffed don't have these marks. Normally i will wax or glaze before i had them re-do it last week, but haven't this time around, but it would still do the same thing. I use microfiber to remove the compounds. they are tiny swirlmarks basically in non direct light it looks fine, but it is a not of tiny scratches around the direct light, if that makes sense.

Should i try a black pad instead of white with the optipolish?

Here is a good example if what is going on, above the sun light. it basically creates holograms.
truck008.jpg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Looks like a buffer trail.You using a rotary?If it were me I'd go with the black pad and slow the speed down...but I'm a noob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts