GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a little planning for the future. I have a set of WeldRacing wheels ordered and want to keep them looking good for the most part.

I was reading the thread Y2KSierra did about Mothers Billet Metal Polish. Would that be a good product for me to use? What would some advantages/disadvantages be to this product as opposed to another polish.

I do not know the slightest thing about polishing wheels but I know I can do it. How hard is this (or other) products to use? What are the steps involved.

Please fill me in, I want to learn :crazy:
Thanks

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Yeah the sames stuff Y2KSierra uses is what I use. Very good! Keep em polished bout once a month and they'll look chrome for a long time. Also some Zoop Seal is good too. I've never used it but heard it's a very good product. You won't have to polish near as much with it.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
It's not all that hard to do: rub it in rub it out. I normally apply a thin coat of wax after polishing to keep it nice and shiney. I've use Mothers, Eagle One, Blue Magic, Wenol's. After Y2KSierra posted about Mothers Billet Polish I went out and bought some and that stuff works wonders.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of Zoop and kal about wax, brings me to a 2nd question.

I know that keeping them polished is the key, but everybody talks about how it dosnt take long for them to need a polish again.

I have looked at the zoop seal before, but it is $$ every where I have seen, and I would probably do something wrong and mess them up lol.
After they are polished up good, is it out of the question to wax them like you would your truck? Would it protect them and keep them shiny longer?
You would think it would b/c it would help seal it from dirt/water and stuff. But does it?
Does that make any sence?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
BigBubbaBD said:
Speaking of Zoop and kal about wax, brings me to a 2nd question.

I know that keeping them polished is the key, but everybody talks about how it dosnt take long for them to need a polish again.

I have looked at the zoop seal before, but it is $$ every where I have seen, and I would probably do something wrong and mess them up lol.
After they are polished up good, is it out of the question to wax them like you would your truck? Would it protect them and keep them shiny longer?
You would think it would b/c it would help seal it from dirt/water and stuff. But does it?
Does that make any sence?
Oh yeah if you don't want to go the zoop route you can polish and then add wax too. I do anyway. I always polish and then add a coat of NXT Tech wax to em. It'll protect them pretty good. I keep it on mine.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I've heard that Zoops is way over priced. I believe it's a 3 step process to do. IMO it's not worth the money. How often do you wash & wax your truck? I would do the rims the same time. The wax helps out alot.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
1buda said:
I've heard that Zoops is way over priced. I believe it's a 3 step process to do. IMO it's not worth the money. How often do you wash & wax your truck? I would do the rims the same time. The wax helps out alot.
Yeah it is overpriced. The reason I never got any. I try and keep some NXT wax on mine at least once a month. I use NXT booster in between on every wash that I don't wax. Just spray and wipe! Does wonders!

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I've watched someone use Zoops Seal. Keeping everything clean is the key. He had to use distilled water for rinsing the rims off. Mixed part A & B together and hurry like hell to coat them, I think the pot life is like only a few hours. Personally I'd rather break out the air tools and get polishing.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
My wheels are chrome, but they have a few water spots already .. I need to get some chrome polish and give them a good buff ... I figure I would do it to coincide with at least every oil change since washing them alone makes them look pretty good.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info.

So, is there any special thing I need to do before hand?
Do I just run over them while washing the truck to get them clean then when they are dry go to polishing?

So 1 rag to put on 1 to take off. Can I take it off with a Dremel (on slow speed)? or is that pointless? Could I do any damage that way?

Anything else I should know/do?

My older cousin used the other mothers polish (not the billet metal stuff) on his bike and said he hated it. Said it didnt go on/come off easy. I told him this stuff wasnt the same stuff.
Is this stuff alot better about going on and taking it off?

I know for some of yall these are stupid questions b/c yall have been doing it so long, but I have never owned/polished wheels like these. And I really dont know. I would like to do it the first time knowing what im doing instead of "trying" the first time and messing something up.

Last stupid question I can think of at this time lol.
Rub in Circles or in straight lines? Why, why not?

:crazy:
Thanks for helping me, I will be good at it one day lol.

****EDIT****

BTW.. Where can I find this product locally? Autozone, Advanced, Walmart where?

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
BigBubbaBD said:
Thanks for all the info.

So, is there any special thing I need to do before hand?
Do I just run over them while washing the truck to get them clean then when they are dry go to polishing?

So 1 rag to put on 1 to take off. Can I take it off with a Dremel (on slow speed)? or is that pointless? Could I do any damage that way?

Anything else I should know/do?

My older cousin used the other mothers polish (not the billet metal stuff) on his bike and said he hated it. Said it didnt go on/come off easy. I told him this stuff wasnt the same stuff.
Is this stuff alot better about going on and taking it off?

I know for some of yall these are stupid questions b/c yall have been doing it so long, but I have never owned/polished wheels like these. And I really dont know. I would like to do it the first time knowing what im doing instead of "trying" the first time and messing something up.

Last stupid question I can think of at this time lol.
Rub in Circles or in straight lines? Why, why not?

:crazy:
Thanks for helping me, I will be good at it one day lol.

****EDIT****

BTW.. Where can I find this product locally? Autozone, Advanced, Walmart where?
I would do it by hand at first :wank: :kidding: if you use a Dremel just remember that yes you can damage your rims even at low speeds, on the other hand you still have 3 more rims to make them look like the first rim. You can apply the polish in straight motions if you like it doesn't really matter. I bought the Mothers Billet Polish at Autozone. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I also use Mother's BILLET polish on my wheels w/ excellent results. The key to a lasting shine is to keep the wheels clean and protected. Carnuba wax works well but a paint sealant/wax (Such as Meguiar's NXT) will protect the wheels longer.

Before polishing, I remove the wheels and clean them (Inside and out) w/ Eagle One A-Z wheel cleaner. Dry them w/ a clean 100% cotton towel and start polishing using two (Apply and take-off) terry clothes. Also, when washing your truck, don't allow the wheels to dry by themselves.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info.

I went out and got me some Eagle One Aluminum Wash & Cleaner to keep them clean and looking good as long as possible.

Also picked me up some Mothers Billet Metal polish. With some Microfiber towels.

I guess that is about everything I need to start learning.

What is a good wax I could use IF I try that. Might see how it does w/o the wax first. I have some Meguires Liquid Gold Class that I use on the truck when I clean it. Would that be a good one or no to use on the wheels?

Again thanks for the info.
Im sure I will get it all figured out and be a pro at it before long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts