GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im slowing down and deicide to put it in neutral, maybe try to save gas. im going about 40 and accidently pop it in reverse, the trucks tires locked up, skidded for maybe 5 feet? cuz i very quicky put it into neutral, my message center was blinking check engine maybe, maybe somethin about oil but the engine shut itself off. as i was rolling i started it back up, but i didnt put it into drive until i got to a complete stop. I havent heard any funny noises it seems fine. How bad do you actually thnk this was? and should i get under and look for leaks or anything? The truck has 14,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Man, always worried about that. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just make sure the tranny sems to work fine and if it screws up, its probaly still under warranty.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it is still under, i tihnk for 2 more years, we got the extended

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
On the factory video someone posted, they showed an inspector doing that on purpose, not sure what speed he was going though, they had a name for it.

Anyways, to go from Drive to Neutral, you should just be able to just push it up, don't pull it back. It's made so you shouldnt accidentally be able to go into reverse.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well you are very lucky... I had some friends that was out one night and they had been drinking and one of them ended up getting the truck in reverse doing 60-65 and the truck locked up and flipped. They all lived but one is now in a wheel chair and the others are fine. Good thing you wasnt going to fast or around a corner or anything...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My friend did that on his '93, truck died and we had to push it. Turns out the tranny was fine but the battery cable came loose :crazy:

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so overall do you guys think its ok? i mean should i take it to the dealer and have it checked out or anything?

·
Registered
658 Posts
well i first want to say that i know in a manual tranny you can put it into neutral to save wear and tear....now with automatic trannys i know that they have done studies and doing that with an automatic tranny is really bad.....im not sure why but i have heard its not good to put an auto into neutral....

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
I did it once when I was 10 mph in the T/A. Big grinding noise and clunk :crazy:

You should be fine though. Just watch the truck for the next couple of days. I wouldn't bring it in, unless it started acting up or giving your trouble. You should be fine. If anything it probably just shortened the life of the tranny, but nothing you should have to worry about short term.

·
Registered
736 Posts
i also did that once while cruzzin the strip..i was prolly going about 20. the tires locked up for a SPLIT second. but i was quick enough to put it in nuetral right away. but i swear ever since then the truck hestates for maybe a second when putting it in drave and reverse before it hooksup. but i really didnt pay attention before so it may have always been like that. But when u think about it..if the tires skidded, that means the power went straight though and the gears prolly didnt grind.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ very good point about the tires locking up and the power transfer

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
1. our tranny should have a reverse lockout so it just clicks when some people do this, just like if you are still rolling and throw it in to park. Allthough i have never verified this(lol).

2. putting your tranny into neutral and then back into drive while driving is not such a good idea, all the clutches and steels, weld to eachother and cause big problems. trust me we dissassemble tranny's all the time in my college classes and its not too pretty.
just my worthless .02
Dan

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
03rado said:
I always wondered what would happen when you accidentally go into reverse while rolling
if you've seen top gun, its just like when they go into that flat spin before goose dies, lights blink, engine shuts off, and like most people would, freak out a little bit.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
spitfire2332 said:
if you've seen top gun, its just like when they go into that flat spin before goose dies, lights blink, engine shuts off, and like most people would, freak out a little bit.

:LOL: :LOL:

I did this in my old '85 camaro once, i was shifting thru the gears manually under full throttle an kicked it up to 4th but it flew all the way to reverse cuz i had the button in, we skidded for like 40 ft, it was nuts, car stalled but then started 5 minutes later, and a i never had another problem with teh car.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Chachi said:
Damn, I always thought the tranny would just obliterate if you put that sucker into reverse when driving 40+.
My friend had an El Camino and got pissed at it, so while doing like 55, he threw it into reverse and floored it (I wasnt with him, just heard the story), after skidding to a stop in a cloud of smoke, it started to smoke the rear tires and go in reverse .. it didn't tear it up, but then of course it was a Turbo 400 .. pretty indestructible.

·
this
1,584 Posts
might want to keep an eye on your rear dif. If there is a hesitation it could not only be in the tranny but in the rear end. If you dont hear a whining noise you might be ok but you prob should pull the cover and make sure nothing is bent or broke.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts