GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well - you need metal ready, marine clean, the por 15 itself and a topcoat. You first must clean the surface and 100% degrease it with marine clean, then use teh metal ready and the paint in por15 then topcoat.

If you want more detailed instructions than this, ask and ill give it step by step how I do it.

But if your going to be doing it in 2007 they will probablyhave something new :crazy:

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no this will be done before winter or next spring depends on money. Also what type of top coat did you selet?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Hey stephen have you ever heard of a metal cleaner called MEK? like methyl ethyl keyatone or some shit like that.

·
6,656 Posts
nope, sure havnt. The main reason I used all POR products is because they were designed to work with it - so I KNOW it will work good. Cant really speak for anything else. I know stuff like brake cleaner etc.. leaves behind a residue that the paint wont stick to as well.

·
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you think a quart of everything would be anoff to do the frame and maybe the axle.

·
6,656 Posts
umm, I would get more marine clean because you can use alot of it. Also depends on how many coats you use. I used less than a pint per axle and thats 2 coats of por and topcoat and doing EVERY part disasembled.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
i have yet to find a substance MEK wont eat thru. it finds each cut on your hands and you know about it for hours even if you didnt know about it previously. It evaporates in minutes. It is very very strong stuff. If im exposed to it for more then 15 minutes the boss gives me a paid 1/2 hour break.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MEK is nasty stuff with strict hazmat requirements. Using the stuff without rubber gloves, eye protection, and a respirator is asking for trouble. I would not recommend this for weekend warrior use and doubt you will find it retail at full strength.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
cbrxx said:
MEK is nasty stuff with strict hazmat requirements. Using the stuff without rubber gloves, eye protection, and a respirator is asking for trouble. I would not recommend this for weekend warrior use and doubt you will find it retail at full strength.
AAWWW!! Finally somebody who has heard of this shit. I use latex gloves sometimes but it just makes them really soft. I use a resperator when i use it indoors but 99% of the time its out side, and there have been a few times eye proctection woulda came in handy. We buy it in 5 gallon buckets. I dont know how how strong it is compared to retail or what ever but its very very stout shit. Im sure you can attest to its ability to clean/kill.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MEK will eat through anything given enough time. We used it in my former job to clean cured urethane. It's very nasty stuff and the reason your gloves are getting soft is it's slowing eating through them.

It used to be the primary cleaning agent in paint thinner but is no longer used for liability issues. I don't think it's available retail anymore. I think most people have migrated to Tolulene. Safer, but doesn't clean as well.

Be careful with that stuff. It does clean well but you might end up with two headed green kids or something. :crazy:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
cbrxx said:
Be careful with that stuff. It does clean well but you might end up with two headed green kids or something. :crazy:
:insane: FUCK that!!! :jawdrop:

·
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to apple por do you use a foam or brisal brush? And what is the best way to strip the rubber shit off the frame?

·
6,656 Posts
I used cheapo throw away bristle brushes.

Striping the shit is very very very time consuming. It will take dozens of hours to do the whole frame. I used a scraper and wire wheel and then paint thinner. Its slow but works very well. You need it 100% clean in every little crack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.