GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Formerly joeyrossmiller12
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm doing this install right now. The only thing I'm confused on is when I hook it up to my 12v ignition will it automatically turn on when i go in reverse?

Pretty much, I want to be able to turn it on whenever I want but I also want it to automatically turn on when I put it in reverse? am I s.o.l.? my head unit is a pioneer avh 3200bt

thanks

·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I just tested shit out. i spliced into the 12v ignition and it comes on automatically when i put it in reverse and i can manually do it... just in case anyone else was wondering

·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually that was wrong. ^^^ I'm kind of stuck now. Like i said i want to hook it up so when i go in reverse it automatically comes on and i can manually switch it on when im driving. anyone know how to do this? i tried hooking up to both the reverse wire and the 12v ignition wire. that does the trick BUT that means id have to have my reverse lights on at all times. which i dont really mind bc i have tinted tails so it will shed a little more light there. but id rather not do that.

i looked up some stuff in the HU's manual and here's what it reads...

This unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear view camera video (V IN) when a rear view camera is installed on your car and the gear shift is moved to the RE- VERSE (R) position.(For more details, con- sult your dealer.)
! After you set up the rear view camera set- ting, move the gear shift to REVERSE (R) and confirm that the rear view camera video is shown on the display.
! Change this setting if the display switches to the rear view camera video by error while you are driving forward.
! To stop watching the rear view camera video and return to the source display, press and hold MUTE.
! Touch the RearView source icon to display the rear view camera image while driving. Touch the source icon again to turn the rear view camera off. For details, refer to Se- lecting a source using the touch panel keys on page 11.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
actually that was wrong. ^^^ I'm kind of stuck now. Like i said i want to hook it up so when i go in reverse it automatically comes on and i can manually switch it on when im driving. anyone know how to do this? i tried hooking up to both the reverse wire and the 12v ignition wire. that does the trick BUT that means id have to have my reverse lights on at all times. which i dont really mind bc i have tinted tails so it will shed a little more light there. but id rather not do that.
You need to diode isolate your power sources, then that wont happen.

·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how would one go about that?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Well, that isn't much current, so you can go to Radio Shack and get a 3 or 5 amp diode like this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062577 and put it in line on the power wire. They are directional. You'll know if it's backwards because it won't work right. The stripe should be on the output side of the power path. You'll need 2 of them, 1 on each line you're sending power out to.

·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i would need one on my ignition wire in the direction to let power through to my positive for the camera. and then one in the opposite direction on the reverse wire? and do they have to go on the wire (like i stated ignition/reverse) or go on the splice where the ignition and camera positive come together and where the reverse and camera positive come together? I appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
so i would need one on my ignition wire in the direction to let power through to my positive for the camera. and then one in the opposite direction on the reverse wire? and do they have to go on the wire (like i stated ignition/reverse) or go on the splice where the ignition and camera positive come together and where the reverse and camera positive come together? I appreciate the help
I've got a drawing that sucks but may make sense.

Attachments

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I think you just need to run the reverse wire on the 3200t to the reverse wire and call it a day. It will be the lt green at the far right plug at the BCM under the steering column

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I think you just need to run the reverse wire on the 3200t to the reverse wire and call it a day. It will be the lt green at the far right plug at the BCM under the steering column
That doesn't solve the having it on a switch without illuminating the backup lights.

·
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a drawing that sucks but may make sense.
Thanks alot man! I picked up the diodes yesterday and i think i got the time to finish this up today along with a few other things including the 6HI mod. awwww yeah haha.

oh and ps... any way i could give me a good deal on that sundown 1200 haha?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
That doesn't solve the having it on a switch without illuminating the backup lights.
every radio should have a button to switch to that, I just cant remember where its at right now. Just as long as the cameras hooked up to ignition so it comes on with the radio the radio will have a manual button for it

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
every radio should have a button to switch to that, I just cant remember where its at right now. Just as long as the cameras hooked up to ignition so it comes on with the radio the radio will have a manual button for it
That may be, but you probably still have to go through menus to do it, or at least some are that way. A simple switch would obviously be easier in that aspect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts