GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a friends truck that's for sale.

2001 C3500 LT, 6.6L LB7, 2WD, 100K miles, team white, new tires... I can get the truck for $18,500. It's a friend of my father-in-laws, and the truck has been to Nevada to the salt flats for the last 3 years. It's recently been cleaned up and undercoated, so I don't think there's any salt left on it. It's very clean from what I've seen before, and the only owner is about 60 years old. Deal?

If I get it there's a few things I wanna do. I don't know shit about diesel upgrades so help me out. I've already been to dieselplace for all of this, and most of what I found on a search is pretty vague.

22" low profile semi's (used of course, American Force if I can find them).
Lower it a little bit
Intake, exhaust, programmer

What type of exhaust? turbo-back or cat-back? I prolly won't make too many mods, so I'm sure the cat-back would be fine.

For the programmer, I'd like to be able to make adjustments, like different modes for towing, economy, and a race mode.

I've seen where the transmission can only hold up to about 65 extra hp before needing upgrades. True statement?

I've seen a lot of people mention that with a programmer, you should have an EGT and a boost guage. Anything else?

McGaughy's lowering or something else? I don't want to lose any ride quality as this will be a daily driver.

The front end: I don't hate the 01-02's, but I really wish it had the 03+ clip. Is the core support the same so it's only sheet metal and headlights (fenders, hood, bumper) and does it all bolt up?

Changing the din/half radio to a double din. I've seen this talked about several times but never paid attention. I've got an Alpine IVA-W200 that was used for 1 week in the last truck I had.

I think that's all for now... Thanks :anitoof:

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

I went to look at the truck today and it's damn near perfect. Not 1 scratch aside from a dent on the tailgate. Gonna think about it over the weekend before I make a hasty decision.

BTW: It's a long bed. VERY long.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i would get the edge. i have both edge and the programer. im not a big fan of all the extra gauges. with the edge you can adjust while your driving and the progamer you cant. i would at least get intake, and catback. im running straight pipe but im getting tired of it so im going to put my magnaflow back on.

as for the front end, mine is a 02 and i did the convert to the 03+. just calls for some mod work.

as for the double din radio i have done that as well, calls for some cutting.

get some pics of it

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would get the edge. i have both edge and the programer. im not a big fan of all the extra gauges. with the edge you can adjust while your driving and the progamer you cant. i would at least get intake, and catback. im running straight pipe but im getting tired of it so im going to put my magnaflow back on.

as for the front end, mine is a 02 and i did the convert to the 03+. just calls for some mod work.

as for the double din radio i have done that as well, calls for some cutting.

get some pics of it

What's the difference in the edge and edge with attitude? Like I said I know nothing about these things.

For the radio, can you use the 03+ bezel? Gonna have to cut the plastic inside above the climate controls, right?

What kind of mod did you do for the 03+ clip?

·
Registered
315 Posts
What's the difference in the edge and edge with attitude? Like I said I know nothing about these things.

For the radio, can you use the 03+ bezel? Gonna have to cut the plastic inside above the climate controls, right?

What kind of mod did you do for the 03+ clip?
my bad i didn't explain it fully to you. just the edge, it plugs in and u program it with the shifter when the truck is off. the edge with att u plug it in to the truck and the att is a little computer, has all the gauges, tells u 1/4 mile times, 0-60 times, you can adjust a lot of things to it. the best thing i like about it is there is 5 levels u can change while your driving. 5 is extreme and i don't recommend u having it on there when u do a a lot of stop and go driving. i mostly use it when i do long period of driving to save more on diesel. i usually put it on 2 for towing. also with the att it gives u 25 hp more than just the edge. they make a bullet piece that goes on the little space u have put the lights on the center of the roof. (whatever you want to call it) makes it look nice and clean and out of the way.

as for the dvd, yes u just got to cut the piece above the climate controls, at least half. the dealer around here cuts above the radio but i don't like how it looks, this way looks stock. it really all depends on the head unit. on the sides u will have to add some plastic to fill in the gap. as for the mounting, i used a old stock radio laying around took off the metal backing that has the clips that clip the radio into place. i made a piece for each side and bolted it up and it clipped right into place.

as for the front clip, on the top i added some channel iron and welding it to other mounts so i could bolt the top there. for the bottom i made a L shaped piece to bolt or weld to the bottom bracket and then to the bottom of the bumper. as for the grill shell it pops right in. this is what i did for the gmc, i don't know what will need to be done on a chevy.

i will try and take pics when i get a chance.

hope this helps

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure did. Thanks for the details on all that.

Sounds like a lot of work on the front clip. I was hoping it was just a bolt-on deal...

On the Edge, have you ever heard of anyone's truck's shutting down while driving? I read something about that on diesel place and the member's there don't seem to like it, but most member's here (from what I can tell) like the Edge. That's probably what I'd go with since it's all in 2 pieces and seems the easiest.

On the head unit, I've got a bunch of aftermarket dash kits that I could rob the brackets out of to mount the radio, cut about the climate controls inside the dash, then a 03+ bezel would cover it all up, correct? the Alpine that I have comes with a trim ring that could fill the gap as long as it wasn't too wide I guess...

Thanks again!

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
it only shut off on the people that installed it themselves, from what I found. Thats the exact reason everytime I do something major I pay for a shop to do it

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it only shut off on the people that installed it themselves, from what I found. Thats the exact reason everytime I do something major I pay for a shop to do it
oh but they make it look soooooo easy on the tv shows :crazy:

·
Registered
315 Posts
sorry man but on this one you are wrong. to install the edge with att it takes 10 mins and its easy, u can not mess it up, there is no way. its connections to the truck. the programer just fallow along. the main reason i have the programer is to read codes and it moves ur gov. i bought the programer first then moved onto the edge

i myself have had my truck shut off, and the reason it did was because it was to much for the truck so it goes in limp mode to protect it. this happened with the programer. so far i have not had a prob with it or even the edge. the edge with at gives from 60 to 150 hp gain. the programer is 45 to 125. so think about it u have both of those on and u punch it yeah ur truck will go but of u do it to much it will go in limp mode, and to take it out u just reprogram the stock setting that is saved on the programer. i have the programer on 45 and the edge i adjust when i drive.

as for the radio what every is easier for you and it looks clean is all that matters.

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
I just got the juice with attitude and never had any probs. I usualyl leave it on 1, 3 onthe highway and 5 when I gotta haul ass

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See man there's too much shit here! edge, juice, attitude, HOT, ;alskdfja;slirw-e[0r98qw aaaah

·
Registered
315 Posts
i sent you a pm.

edge juice is one and attitude is the display. i recommend getting the edge juice with attitude

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
have u had any probs with edge aaron?
no I dont have it but ive read about alot of problems and i do not like anything that cant change settings on the truck. I would only run the pred or EFIlive on my truck

·
Registered
315 Posts
i got the pred and edge. yes the pred you can change things but i have had probs with my pred and not my edge. the pred puts my truck in limp mode, has fried my pcm so yeah im not to happy with the pred.

there are pros and cons to both. the pred you can change setting but you cant change the hp on the fly like you can with the edge. edge you can stop the black smoke or make more making the truck more responsive while driving and with the pred you cant. dont get me wrong i like them both thats y i have them but im much more happy with the edge.

all my buddies and their buddies rather have the edge. most of them have a triple stack with propane and nos.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
around 700 bucks. ive never heard of problems like that with the pred frying things unless your not removing the fuses your supposed to. and your crazy to be stacking with a stock alli anyway

1 - 20 of 27 Posts