GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got locked out of my truck yesterday, i thought my battery was dead... anyway i got it open today and found that my power locks, mirrors and windows do not work. everything else is fine. all relays and fuses under the hood are ok. now, on the fuses in the dash some of them aren't getting power at all (used test light). WTF is going on? help is much much appreciated.

o btw truck is 03 silvy regular cab ls

original thread in lounge

http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153932

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
not sure but check the ground wire under the glovebox that is on the heaer core it had my doorlocks,seats,ac,stopped ? it sounds like a bad ground somewhere though

·
Sweet Tea Pants
432 Posts
Find an online copy or buy an FSM (factory service manual). Then you can trace out the circuits that don't have power, and find the common feed. I'm still putting my money on a fuse since several circuits aren't working.

Good luck.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
is it a WT or standard 03?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it a WT or standard 03?
no work truck, i think its an LS model. has carpet, power everything except passenger seat which i added but i didn't use the floor harness i ran a wire to the fuse box, grounded it and tapped into the 20A accessory fuse. it works fine that fuse still has power and is not blown.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
no work truck, i think its an LS model. has carpet, power everything except passenger seat which i added but i didn't use the floor harness i ran a wire to the fuse box, grounded it and tapped into the 20A accessory fuse. it works fine that fuse still has power and is not blown.
How did you check every thing. Did you pull every fuse and check it or just looked to see if the thing was black? fuse tester or what?

Edit: Im a "dumnass" you said tester light. Well then check alll of your wires to the fuse box or even the grounds becuase you could have hit a wire with your foot or something getting out of the truck.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
DO NOT USE A TEST LIGHT ON 03+ TRUCKS!
Id pull the drivers door and test for power there at the switch assembly

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I've heard the warning about not using test lights on new vehicles, but never heard a technical explanation why. Do you have a link that explains it?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I've heard the warning about not using test lights on new vehicles, but never heard a technical explanation why. Do you have a link that explains it?
x2, never heard that before, and now I'm interested.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scott, my dad had some guy that comes to you install an alarm with remote start on the truck a long time ago, and the unlock function stopped working and i didn't like the remote anyway so i just forgot about it. i pulled the cover off the dash and unstuffed all the wires to see if any in line fuses were blown.... here's what i found

DSC01064.gif

DSC01065.gif

DSC01066.gif

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah... i don't know if i should take it to a dealership and say fix it or the local alarm dealer and say here, make this work and give me a viper 9501.

i think its going to be expensive either way

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
yeah... i don't know if i should take it to a dealership and say fix it or the local alarm dealer and say here, make this work and give me a viper 9501.

i think its going to be expensive either way
the dealership is going to be way more expensive.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Scott can correct me if im wrong but I think everything in those trucks is triggered from ground, so you dont want to be putting positive power to them with the test light.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
nah, not compared to a viper 5901. that bitch is expensive, but i want it. and if having one installed would fix my problem, i might have to go get one.
I would do the alarm cause then your getting it fixed and then getting an alarm too. win win situation.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i took it to a local audio/alarm shop where i know a couple guys and one of them up there has some kind of certification and the little bit i did talk to him he seems like he knows a bit so i left it there for him to check out. hopefully they'll call me with some good news

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just got the truck back, it is 75% fixed, power locks, mirrors and passenger side window work.

only thing now is the drivers side window won't roll up/down. guy at the shop said he tested for power at the motor and it wasnt getting any. maybe i need new switches on the drivers side? i can operate the passenger side from the drivers side, but not the drivers side :think:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts