GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 105,000 on the 01' tahoe and i'd like to change it. i've never change steering fluid before and i haven't even looked at my chiltons manual yet. is it a pain, i heard its easy to get air in the lines.

G

·
You read correctly. It can be a bit of a pain. Unless your fluid is completely contaminated and the system is nearly nonfunctional/safe, I recommend you use a turkey baster to extract what fluid you can out of the pump reservoir. Then refill with new fluid. Drive the truck for a week and do it again. Repeat this process until the fluid is looking new. Once you get the fluid lookin dandy, do a single extract and refill on the reservoir every oil change. Quick, easy and it will keep the fluid (and associated parts) in better shape.

This basically dilutes the old fluid, but is simpler than "completely" draining the system, refilling and :pissed:bleeding:pissed:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Power steering fluid is a hydraulic fluid and it will wear out over time.

Here is what you need to do the job right. Less than $20 and it also is good for pushing gear lube into differentials. Just rinse it out before switching lubes, like with engine oil. Hang it with hose down into a container to drain residual fluid before storing. Invaluable tool to have, this one is quality made.

Fluid Extraction Pump

Synthetic Power Steering Fluid

Note - It takes about 20-oz (+/-) of fluid to fill the PS reservoir on GM trucks. I change about 1 per week for customers, takes me about 15 min. and often less with this tool, sucks out 16 oz at a time. Tip - Find a container to place the removed fluid in so you can measure what you remove and put back exactly the same amount, makes it easier than guessing. Make sure PS tank is full when you start or adjust accordingly. An empty qt oil bottle that is see thru works great.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. I'm just going to do the suck out way. Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and does it matter what brand fluid i put in? do i have to use gm's?

G

·
I wouldn't bother shelling out for GM, but spend money on good stuff from the parts store. It will last longer.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
lol @ 100k PS oil. :puke:

Get you a small inline filter while you're at it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol @ 100k PS oil. :puke:

Get you a small inline filter while you're at it.
i just bought the truck and had no maint. history on it. thats why ive done all the other fluids in it. for all i know someone has already done power steering fluid in it.

G

·
What happens if your PS fluid is 184,000 miles old?

Can the turkey baster procedure work for brake fluid too? I'd guess not.
It won't hurt anything, but brake fluid doesn't circulate like PS fluid does. It speeds the bleeding/flushing process to suck most of the brake fluid out of the master cylinder and fill with new before you begin though. Just don't suck it completely dry or you'll pump air into the lines. Ask me how I know.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
That's what I thought.

Air in the lines is why I don't want to do the normal bleed/flush. Any time I've tried to do any brake bleeding, I've always ended up with air in the system.

I guess there's no better time to learn by experience than now.

G

·
That's what I thought.

Air in the lines is why I don't want to do the normal bleed/flush. Any time I've tried to do any brake bleeding, I've always ended up with air in the system.

I guess there's no better time to learn by experience than now.
:word: That can be such a headache. I don't know how well this would work on the vehicle you have in mind, but I've seen people drill a hole in the cover for their master cylinder and pull a new shrader valve stem through. You can use a bike pump to pressurize the MC. Only trouble with this is being careful not to let the MC get low. :lol:

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea. My truck and my 1980 Buick could both use lots of new fluids - brake, power steering, differential, transmission, radiator...neither one has had anything other than than the oil changed in recent history.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got a bunch of water in mine when I went in a too-deep creek, pumped it out and refilled 4 or 5 times and still see some water in it, never gonna get rid of it I guess but it seems to be working fine and no more noise after about the second time I pumped and refilled.

I turned the wheels all the way side to side a bunch of times every time I refilled before pumping out again. I figured this might help flush more, I have no idea I might have been doing that just for fun.

My grand prix had 170k on the original fluid and was going fine but I went ahead and pumped and refilled on it too since it seems I'm so damned experienced at doing it lately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.