GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals,

So when we had the big snow storm last week, i got stuck in a snow bank...it was a soft impact, maybe 10-15mph....didnt really jerk it to a stop since it was fresh powder, it was a really gentle plow through snow until i stopped.

I noticed then that my steering was kinda fucked up, but figured it was strictly all the snow packed around the tires.

I washed everything on/around the steering today and its still a bitch to turn. To put it lightly, i started pulling myself off of the seat when i have to turn right or left, and at any speed.

My PS tank is pretty much dead on the "full cold" mark, and likewise with the full hot marks.

So the questions begin, and advice from you is needed....im sure some fo you have had problems before.

Rack and pinion, pump? my shaft isnt binding up at all, its strictly from the pump down and its a big problem.

I was gonna check the pumps pressure tomorrow and go from there, but what are the chances a pump would burnout so easily? i had the wheels fully locked to the right for about 5 minutes, and i didnt have any choice but to wrap the tow strap around the LCA on the right side and pull it out.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
even though it is very hard to turn, does it turn evenly? Or does it have a very rough feeling to it...like something is binding? what I would start with in either case is disconnecting the pitman arm from the steering linkage and see tight or rough to you. Its obviously going to be alot easier to turn...but you should be able to tell if it is binding or not. Do not try to go lock to lock...just about 180 degrees either way...if it still feels really rough...you probably trashed the worm gear inside the gear box. If it is super smooth (normal) then your problem is in the linkage somewhere...if so, start moving around all the joints while its disconnected...it might be helpful to jack up the front end while you do this part.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its pretty even, just takes a shitload of effort...and i dont see why anything would start binding when it was a fresh powder snow drift, no ice or anything, just really big, and as i said it was a soft impact.

Asked a buddy of mine who works for the local dealer, and he said i might've blown the seals out of the rack and pinion since it was clocked for so long, or i might've burned the pump since it was at full lock.

I'll take the pitman arm off tomorrow and see if its any better. Im assuming it'll narrow it down to whether its a pump issue or a rack/binding issue correct?

Any other advice or things to try?

BTW: i was on a slight ice mound where i usually dont park my truck, and my rearend was sitting about 3" lower than the front cuz it steps down into a concrete pad, and the right side was on a 1-2" tall ice mound, and it would turn to the left without a problem in the world. If it helps anyone get ideas as to what might be wrong.

Dave

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
It was the pump, like I said :read:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts