GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What octane fuel is everyone going with whenever they get a tune? Justin is tuning my Yukon this Friday in San Antonio & was wondering if it is worth it (Performance & Mileage Wise) putting Premium 93 Octane instead of Regular 87 Octane. I know it's only $5 more at every fill up, so that doesn't bother me, but if I don't see much of a difference I will just keep on using 87 Octane.

By the way the vehicle is a 2007 Yukon with 5.3L in it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
When I got my tune I had Justin tune it for 92 oct and he made some modifacations for ethanol blended gas. So far its well worth it. Get the 93, trust me its worth it.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Mine was a pretty significant difference between 93 and 87.
Would you mind elaborating more?

I am scheduled for this weekend as well, so I would be interested to hear some feedback.

·
Pain is temporary.
341 Posts
Would you mind elaborating more?

I am scheduled for this weekend as well, so I would be interested to hear some feedback.
Overall driveability. I tow 2k-5k fairly regularly, and with the 93 tune, it seems to pull much better. I don't get on it that much as my 1-2 is slipping pretty bad on WOT, but my butt meter said that it definitely pulled harder.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks & keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a 93 tune. I can't tell you what it would be like with an 87 tune but, I love what Justin did to my truck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have around 3/4 of a tank of 87 octane in there right now, so by Friday I should be around 1/4 or more of a tank. Would it hurt to mix the 93 & 87 before I get the tune, or should I try & make sure I have all 93 octane in it?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have my 5.3 L33 engine tuned to 93. It has a slightly larger compression ratio, to begin with. I was going to just get an 87, but he said it really needed to be bumped up to 93, especially woth the tune. It ticked a bit until I did get higher octane in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I'm not mistaken he can do a dual tune. Tunes for regular driving at 87-89 Octane and with Tow/Haul mode on can do a 93 octane tune. Best of both worlds. Not sure if I read this wrong but that is what it sounded like to me.
btw, I'll be there Sat gettin mine done as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If I'm not mistaken he can do a dual tune. Tunes for regular driving at 87-89 Octane and with Tow/Haul mode on can do a 93 octane tune. Best of both worlds. Not sure if I read this wrong but that is what it sounded like to me.
btw, I'll be there Sat gettin mine done as well.
the tow/haul button is for shift points and firmness(if not mistaken on firmness) only. There is already a high and low octane tables that you can tune, so it automatically senses octane and pulls timing and etc. and vice versa

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
I still have around 3/4 of a tank of 87 octane in there right now, so by Friday I should be around 1/4 or more of a tank. Would it hurt to mix the 93 & 87 before I get the tune, or should I try & make sure I have all 93 octane in it?
I've read from others that it would best if you had all 93 octane. This way you can get the full benefits of the tune & notice it as he is making adjustments.

Someone will chime if to correct me or elaborate further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts