GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out this problem im having with my s-10 i made a post over at s10forum.com but no one seems to know wtf is up. Didnt know if any of you baging guys could help me out.
I have a 145 on 200psi off pressure switch and its not shutting off at 200psi.Yesterday i took it out and replaced it with a new one, Started the truck up and it filled and shut off at 200psi with no problem's. SO i thought my problem was solved. It poored rain last night . I went out this morning and my tank was full at 200psi so i aired it up and the comps kicked on but by the time i got to work which is only a 5 minute drive they still didnt shut off and my pressure gauge was reading 215 psi so i turned them off via my toggle switch. So i asume the rain is making these thing's act up in some shape or form? I went over all my wiring yesterday and it looks fine but i dont think its the wiring if i replaced the PS yesterday and it worked with no problem's, then it rained and im having problem's again. I even electrical taped the shit out of the thing so nothing was exposed. Also might i add my relays are exposed to the element's but im 100% certain its a pressure switch problem. I have 2 viar 380's with an 8gal and the comps are running through 2 30/40 amp relays. Do they make weather proof pressure switch's? Or what am i doing wrong here! Help please!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Are the connections exposed on your relays? How does yoru pressure switch get the reading from your tank? Is it directly mounted to the tank?

I would try changing the relays to me it sounds like they are getting wet shorting out and not deactiving when the switch tells them to. Try that and see what it does.

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Relays are mounted in the bed but the terminals are not exposed to the weather. I took out the presure switch and cleaned it, hit it with some wd-40 and hooked it back up. Filled the tank back up and it Shut off at 200psi then turned right back on very fast and kept filling. Any way i can check the relays with a volt meter or somthing? The presure switch is directly off the top of the tank. Ill have to check it out more afterwork. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'm no help to your problem...

...but your never posted more pictures of the s10:bawl: (I'm looking for new truck ideas)

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its nothing special at atm. Just your stuck s-10 with some primer spots and the front baged(First time ever baging somthing). Saving to do the rear at the moment thinking of the roadgrater. ILl snap some picture's over the weekend. Got the truck for 900 bucks runs like a top 5 speed 4.3 114k miles. Im going to go with a ratrod look. Flat black chrome bumper's baby moons and whitewalls Baby! I just need to fix this problem its pissing me off!:pepper:

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
Im would jump the the relays with a piece of wire to see if they are sticking. Also what type of pressure swith you using?

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They came with my viar comps inside the duel pack. 145 on 200 off.

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok get this i came home and put the pressure in that was acting up yesterday and it works fine now :think: . So i dont know wtf is up.

·
Registered
415 Posts
First off a 380 Dual pack comes with a 165-200 switch, not 145-200. The pressure switch could be acting up if it's getting moisture from the tank, and I'm not sure what WD-40 is going to do to it. You can put a little dielectric grease on the switch to help prevent corosion from the moisture.
The pressure switches are usually + or - a few pounds but not 15 like you said you were seeing. I'd check your connections at every point where they make contact with each other. Be sure that there's no moisture between the contacts as well. Also if your relays are getting water into them then they too could be getting moisture between the contacts.

Sounds to me like your relays are acting up, or the pressure switch is going bad.

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah im an idiot it is 165on 200 off. Well its working now so hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not an idiot, just a guy who was having elect. issues. I was trippin and thought you might have some crazy acting switch (145-200) and that would be the problem for sure. Glad to hear it's working now. Just keep an eye on it and you can always refer back to suggestions made by the people on here if you have future problems.

Late.

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate your help dude. :head:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts