GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have is a garden hose. How much do you guys think I should expect to pay to get the proper products to detail my truck? I'm not going to do this as a side job or anything. Just for my truck occasionally.

Inside ?
Outside ?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Are you trying to do paint correction or just cleaning it on the weekends?

Just cleaning and washing, I'd say around $200 would get you started and keep you stocked up for a good while.

If you want to do paint correction, you are going to be in $500-$1k just to start.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy shit. It's cheaper than that just to take it to a detailer!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Holy shit. It's cheaper than that just to take it to a detailer!!
You can probably buy a kit with porter cable 7424 and pads/polish for about $2-250 so I would say $500 is a good approximation

Yes, dealer may charge less, if a dealer does this, but if you go more than once you would save by doing it yourself. Also, the dealer may not do it to your expectations

·
Vendor
892 Posts
Yes, dealer may charge less, if a dealer does this, but if you go more than once you would save by doing it yourself. Also, the dealer may not do it to your expectations
BINGO! ^^^

OP, you need to decide how deep you want to dive in to properly care for your own vehicle(s).

If you just "kind of care" then a good wash setup and some sealant/wax is perfect, and can be had for under $100 here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-570-adams-basic-wash-wax-kit.aspx

If you want to get serious about it, then a machine polisher kit is your best bet, and the $500+ figure is realistic.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-59-machine-polishers-and-kits.aspx

It comes don to two things; your budget and the amount of time you're willing to invest in vehicle maintenance. Once you answer those two things, you can get rolling in the right direction!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean, I want it to look nice but it doesn't have to be anything insane. And I would rather not spend hours and hours cleaning it. I live in a town of under 1,000 people on a farm so it's not like I'm driving on pavement all day. It's going to get a little dirty no matter what.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
dawn dish soap and a bucket for u

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Yep, might as well just take it to a detailer if you don't want to invest time and money in it :imo I wish I was only in it for $500 :eek:kay2:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
All comes down to how far down the 'rabbit hole' you want to go.

Even investing in good wash supplies and some basic care and upkeep stuff will be an upgrade over the typical guy.

If you plan to get into paint correction with machines and whatnot, thats where the price is really going to creep up b/c the machine itself adds cost, compounds are generally not the cheapest things if you want good ones and pads you'll need a few of.

My personal recommendation if you're seeing sticker shock is to invest in the basics first and take it from there. If you'd like some input shoot me a PM and I'll help you build a basic wash & wax type kit that will keep the ride looking nice without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'll probably do that later today. I got it fully detailed about a year ago so I don't think the paint should be that bad.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If you want it to look nice, but nothing special then I'd just stick with OTC stuff. Once it's been corrected, it all comes down to maintenance. Proper washing/drying techniques, etc.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Didnt mean to scare you away but it's almost as addicting as modding your car/truck.

I started with an $80 zaino order a long, long time ago. Yesterday, I did a final polish on my car with $80 a liter compound.

Just the pads can add up quickly. You can get by with just the basics on the cheap though. Pick up a griots garage buffer and a few pads (cutting, polish and sealant) and some decent compounds and sealant and you can make your truck look better than 85 percent of the others on the road. Detailing is all about the final 10 percent, that's where the differences come into play. No need to go drop a couple of grand unless you want to be in that category :)

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Ok I'll probably do that later today. I got it fully detailed about a year ago so I don't think the paint should be that bad.
u can ruin a "detail" with a single wash.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here's what I'm working with. I can get better pics if you guys tell me what you need to look at.

I've never washed it by hand because I've always been scared lol.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/ubyru2eb.jpg
Here's what I'm working with. I can get better pics if you guys tell me what you need to look at.

I've never washed it by hand because I've always been scared lol.[/quote]

How has it been washed if not by hand?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Touch less car washes
When you wash by hand, go in straight lines. Either up and down or side to side. Don't go in circular motions as anything that gets caught in the mitt could spell bad news later. Straight line defects are typically easier to remove than circles as well.

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
I'm with Steve

2-3 hundo seems about right

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Damn I must be cheap. Whatever soap bucket wash and walmart wax for me. Damn things dirty 30 minutes later anyways.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
I've got $200+ worth of supplies just for washing, waxing, and interior cleaning. That's buying half my stuff at 50% retail. And I'm not sure I'd even be considered amateur yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts