GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wanting to sand down my truck tomarrow and i need to know what grit paper or papers i should use to sand it down.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
please someone chime in ive got the money in hand and im waiting on a friend to come over before i leave to go to walmart.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
what are you trying to take off? if you wanna knock it all down really quick, you could go with like 80 and 150 on a da, or 320 400 to be slower, it all depends

·
OG
1,498 Posts
please someone chime in ive got the money in hand and im waiting on a friend to come over before i leave to go to walmart.
Well first of all, I wouldn't go to WalMart if you want it done right. Definitely go to an AutoBody Paint Supply store and talk with them. They sell all the stuff you'll need. I usually get all my sandpaper there because it's cheaper.

As for your question, it's very brief :imo
You need to elaborate as to what you're wanting to do. Are you wanting to take the truck down to bare metal? Or down enough where you can lay a new layer or primer?

Also, it'd be a wise investment to get some long board sanding blocks with 'stick on' sandpaper. This will help tremendously when you go to sand after primer.

As mentioned, a DA (dual action) sander is gonna be your best friend here in this case, but you definitely will need adequate air supply (at least a 60 gallon tank with 8-10 SCFM @90 psi rating). Otherwise, your gonna have to use an electric DA sander. It seems you wanna take off enough paint and old primer to be able to lay down some new primer. If this is the case, then I would use 80 grit to start with and really give the new primer something to grab onto. I would also get 100 grit, 180 grit, 320 grit, 400 grit, and 600 grit for other stages. Hope this helps out some with your question.

If you have any other questions, PM me, I know a member on here who does this stuff all the time and could help you out a little better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts