GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all have to weld? I want to get the one with the cheapest shocks because i'm going dual later. I have auto-trac but it is an 05 Serria and the shaft doesn't spin all the time like earlier models only spins in 4wd. So I don't want a shaft right away because i want to see if I get vibes when I use 4wd. Which one do I want? I'm kind confused by there descriptions of what it exactly is.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT1808T5491.aspx

·
droppin loads
3,883 Posts
You sure you have the newer autotrac? I thought they changed in 06. Can you spin the front driveshaft when the vehicle is parked?

·
Registered
312 Posts
You have to weld one piece where you cut off the drivers side rear crossmember "ear" that the differential mounts to. I have pictures of the piece installed in my webshots page in my sig below.

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You sure you have the newer autotrac? I thought they changed in 06. Can you spin the front driveshaft when the vehicle is parked?
i'm almost like 99.9% positive I do. I'll go out and spin it again when I have access to my truck to check.

Yours is on a 2500 though. I assume it's the same and i'd still have to weld though?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, same weld. Didn't take my buddy too long at all to weld it. I also had to weld on a new piece of exhaust to help clear the d-shaft. You'll have to do that if you have a 6.0L I think. The muffler shop can put it on prior to the lift though.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
you have to cut out a section for rea x member and re weld a plat back. we didnt do it on hoveys truck.

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had a random thought. I suppose I will need longer brake lines now? What are some good braided stainless steal lines? What other random part will I need?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I just had a random thought. I suppose I will need longer brake lines now? What are some good braided stainless steal lines? What other random part will I need?
you need that randome crap? Ill be installing a 6 inch full drop pro comp in july so im interested as well.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
you dont need longer brake lines for that kit
good, i never would have thought about that to be honest with you. That would have sucked to get all the way to the end and go :think:

Rick98Z the pictures on your site were great. i looked through them all and will go back to them before i install my own lift.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I still have the stock lines on mine. I plan on getting some longer ones seeing I don't want them to be suspension limiters.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I still have the stock lines on mine as well...the lines are tight but do-able. I'm glad my install photos could be of some help. I tried to take alot but when your dirty and in the midst of an install sometimes it is kind of hard to do. I know when I installed a cepek on my old 98, I relied alot on peoples install photos because instructions are often vague...

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
So the only welding involved would be if you have a 4x4? I'm getting the ProComp 6" full drop for my 2WD 2001 Suburban. I downloaded the install instuctions and it says some minor welding is needed at the beginning of the instructions. I've read those instructions at least four times and find no mention of welding anything anywhere. I've even searched the .pdf for the word weld. Nothing. I have a welder and can do minor welding, so that doesnt really bother me.

I figured the instructions are a copy and paste for another vehicle, just edited as needed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did longer brakes on mine when I did the lift so I didn't have to bend any of the factory tube. I went with custom ones from Crown Performance. There's a thread in the vendor section on Pirate of somebody who sells them. Great customer service. They are stainless and kevlar wrapped, with a colored cover. Everybody seems to like these lines when I looked into them. I think for my 3 lines, it was around $150. It took a while to get them because they are custom, so order early if you want them.

You can see one in this pic:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts