GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Here is my setup: DNX-9140 + Metra conv. module + Alpine MFP-300 AMP + JL's 10"s.. 2009 Sierra 1500 Ext. Cab

I have everything installed and working but I can't get my amp to turn on.. I've verified that mine wire going to it is good.. heck I routed one in the air straight to the back of the deck to the amp remote turn on spade but nothing..

The amp is working because the preamps that would power another amp come on when I hook up a RCA, like I was going to hook it to another amp..

I'm tapping into and straight out of the Blue/White wire coming from the Kenwood deck but nothing... So, I tried tapping into the Accessory turn on wire (red) and that didn't work either... How can I get this thing to toggle on? Not sure why the amp won't come on when I have the wire literally tied directly into the blue/white wire of the Kenwood when the manual says the blue/white of the 9140 is the amplifer turnon...

Anybody installed a 9140 with an amp yet and can tell me how they got the amp to come on>

Texastate

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Are you using a DMM to make sure the lines you are tagging actually give 12v before you hook it up to the amp? and you're not getting it from those??

Other than that, just basic amp diagnostic. Use the meter to make sure you've got 12v to turn on and from the battery. Beyond that, check fusing on the side of the amp, and if that's all good, try another amp.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Are you using a DMM to make sure the lines you are tagging actually give 12v before you hook it up to the amp? and you're not getting it from those??
That was going to be what I said first, but apparently it's giving 12V?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are good suggestions, I'll run out and get the DMM to see if I'm actually getting 12v out of the turn on wire...the Blue/white Turn on amp wire might need to be checked too maybe? It should be 12v from that but its worth checking.. The amp will come on when I hook up 2 rca's (left and right) to the preamp rca's (used for adding #2 amp if you want to relay the amps.) So it turns on so it can't be that the amp has a bad fuse or something..

One thing to mention though is that I hooked up what I know to be a working amp, my old Rockfard F 800.4 amp and couldn't get it to turn on either so that should tell me something right there.... I'm pretty confident there is nothing wrong with the old RF, and this is a new out of the box Alpine.

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
Not familiar with the Kenwood, but is there a menu item within the Kenwood setup that needs to be set to "external amp" or something similar?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are good suggestions, I'll run out and get the DMM to see if I'm actually getting 12v out of the turn on wire...the Blue/white Turn on amp wire might need to be checked too maybe? It should be 12v from that but its worth checking.. The amp will come on when I hook up 2 rca's (left and right) to the preamp rca's (used for adding #2 amp if you want to relay the amps.) So it turns on so it can't be that the amp has a bad fuse or something..

One thing to mention though is that I hooked up what I know to be a working amp, my old Rockfard F 800.4 amp and couldn't get it to turn on either so that should tell me something right there.... I'm pretty confident there is nothing wrong with the old RF, and this is a new out of the box Alpine.
OK.. I just went from a good ground to the turn on lead of what should be going to my amp and I got like 12.12 or something so that's 12v's... guess I should go out and hook up my old amp and see if it turns on... then I'll know if its the new amp or not...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Not familiar with the Kenwood, but is there a menu item within the Kenwood setup that needs to be set to "external amp" or something similar?
The turn on should be on either way.

What you may be referring to is turning off the Internal MOSFET (50wx4) if you're using an external amp to allow the power supply to give a stonger voltage out.

Have you tried to just ran a temporary jumper from the battery input to the turn on to see if it turns on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The turn on should be on either way.

What you may be referring to is turning off the Internal MOSFET (50wx4) if you're using an external amp to allow the power supply to give a stonger voltage out.

Have you tried to just ran a temporary jumper from the battery input to the turn on to see if it turns on?

After checking and double checking, I went back to the basics and found that the ground that I was using was not doing anything so I utilized on of the backseat mount bolts and that did the trick.. simple .. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
check the continuity of the fuse thats under your hood that is if you have one on your power cable i have had and seen this problem many times just turn your multi meter to the ohm setting and hold touch each side of your fuse if it reads 0.L then just replace the fuse let me know what happens

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
After checking and double checking, I went back to the basics and found that the ground that I was using was not doing anything so I utilized on of the backseat mount bolts and that did the trick.. simple .. Thanks for the help!
The simple things are the most frustrating.

Glad you got it worked out.
:big_banana_Dance:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts