GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this out today. When I put my truck in 4 wheel drive (high or low) and take off with any kind of power or TQ the front driver's side wheel butter flies in. And it gets dragged while im moving. This has not happened in the past. I have not yet got under the truck to figure this problem out. I just wanted to post to see if this has happened to anyone else before.

Here is a cheesy diagram of whats going on when I put it in 4wheel and give it over 30% (roughly) throttle.

/---| (front)

|---| (rear)

In 2wd drive the truck runs and drives fine and I can smash the throttle and it has no ill affect on the drivers side front tire. It only happens in 4 wheel.

Like I said I have not got under the truck but I think it may be a ball joint failure or maybe a tie rod? Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.:bowtie:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Tie-rod or centerlink issue most likely.

EDIT: Explanation being when the tire is under power it wants to pivot on the balljoints, the tie-rod is supposed to prevent this. The NBS tie-rods are pretty thin, you may just be deflecting the link itself elastically so you'd never see the problem without watching the action occur.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any way to test out the center link or tie rod?

Like mentioned, it has never done this before. I guess I have to work on it this weekend. :(

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Id just check out all the components for wear. Keep it greased regularly, but kyle made an excellent example of what is going on.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id just check out all the components for wear. Keep it greased regularly, but kyle made an excellent example of what is going on.
I grease my junk every oil change or when I feel it needs to be done (meaning more than once in between oil changes sometimes).

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Well we now know its not lack of lubrication, Go check your tie rod ends and balljoints for excessive play. If not it coul be flexing the centerlink components under torque. I assume you still have the factory centerlink with the knuckle kit, because the new knuckle will haverelocated steering arms for the TRE's. I would suggest the lowering bracket like on a full drop kit could caude the flexing, but Im not sure how much your centerlink was dropped?

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we now know its not lack of lubrication, Go check your tie rod ends and balljoints for excessive play. If not it coul be flexing the centerlink components under torque. I assume you still have the factory centerlink with the knuckle kit, because the new knuckle will haverelocated steering arms for the TRE's. I would suggest the lowering bracket like on a full drop kit could caude the flexing, but Im not sure how much your centerlink was dropped?
Its the tie-rod. I checked it this morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts