GMC Truck Forum banner

Problem with fabtech 3" spindle?

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  liftedcali1500 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have a fabtech 3" spindle on a 04 chevy 2500 2WD, and its wearing on the inside of my tires and the tortions are not cranked and i keep alligning the truck every month to two months. Does anyone know how to fix this?

#9 ·
According to Fabtech it says that you need 4 5/8's back spacing. I will have to go and check out my truck to see if i have any problems because i have them also

#14 ·
Unless Fabtech has changed their spindle design for the TB trucks, (which I dont think they have) the issue is not from the wheels BS.

The Fabtech spindle for this truck was taller than stock, ball joint to ball joint. This meant that instead of the arms being parallel, they were now farther apart at the spindle forming a trapazoid shape. This change in geometry caused the wheel to move in a arc like an I beam truck instead of a more vertical path. If you tried to crank the TBs any little bit it would not align. Really sucky, if you watched the front wheels going over a speed bump they would flop all over the place. I owned this style spindle for a short time before I trashed them for some CSTs.

Check your spindle height compared to stock and see if its the same. If they are taller, their is your issue. If they changed them (same as stock) you might have a worn ball joint, hub or alignment cams.

#16 ·
Yes exactly, those last two post both see the problems im having with the spindle, the fabtech spidle seems like it stick out of the truck way further than any other lift spindle, and when the truck does hit a speed bump or a dimp or anything like that it seems like the truck has no control and swerves one direction wich kind of sucks when your pulling a 38' fifth wheel behind you. And as far as changing there spindle they discontinued them I think for this reason.

#18 ·
I've ran my fabtech spindles with 16x8s w/ 4.5" backspacing, 16x10s w/ 4.75" backspacing, and with the factory aluminum 16x7s and haven't had any problems. Had em on for almost 2 years.
The spindle issues are with the TB trucks, the ones for the 1500s are fine.

#19 ·
Unless Fabtech has changed their spindle design for the TB trucks, (which I dont think they have) the issue is not from the wheels BS.

The Fabtech spindle for this truck was taller than stock, ball joint to ball joint. This meant that instead of the arms being parallel, they were now farther apart at the spindle forming a trapazoid shape. This change in geometry caused the wheel to move in a arc like an I beam truck instead of a more vertical path. If you tried to crank the TBs any little bit it would not align. Really sucky, if you watched the front wheels going over a speed bump they would flop all over the place. I owned this style spindle for a short time before I trashed them for some CSTs.

Check your spindle height compared to stock and see if its the same. If they are taller, their is your issue. If they changed them (same as stock) you might have a worn ball joint, hub or alignment cams.
ok so what do you recomend I do? I'm thinking just to upgrade to the cst 4" spindle.

#20 ·
ok so what do you recomend I do? I'm thinking just to upgrade to the cst 4" spindle.
Yup, thats what I ended up having to do. It was such a big mess w/ the Fabtechs. With the CSTs you gain an inch and can still crank them, all while being alignable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.