GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting 2" spindles on my truck and I've gotten everything off cept the top bolt and the upper control arm. What's the best way to get the joint to let go of the spindle? I've tried numerous angles and way and it hasn't budged.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
What are you using to do with this? A ball joint fork? I've always used air tools to do it and they pop in like 5 seconds. If you don't have air I'd get a ball joint for in there and then hit the 2 sides of the stock spindle with hammers.....it'll pop loose.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using a hammer and a pry bar. Where should I hit the spindle at exactly? I've got air, what kind of air tool do you use?
I'd get a ball joint for in there
Do ya mean go and buy another ball joint or am I misunderstanding you?
thanks

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
If you've tried pouding it with a heavy hammer at the spindle, then do what Physh1 said. Be very careful with the ball joint boot boot. If you tare the boot, it's time for new control arms. You can't replace those balljoints.......

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats wrong with having a boot that's torn? I talked to the dealership and a few other people and they said it wouldn't hurt anything as long as I kept them greased. All of mine are like that cause the idiot that had the truck before me took it somewhere and they put too much grease in it or something and they busted. I seen balljoints for my truck, but they're a pain to install.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
i have done all my balljoints allready. the lowers are a bitch to get out. i had the same problem when i did my spindle. i just hit it with the air hammer while a buddy pushes down on the spindle witha big pry bar. that was the only thing i could get to work.

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
way2hi said:
whats wrong with having a boot that's torn? I talked to the dealership and a few other people and they said it wouldn't hurt anything as long as I kept them greased. All of mine are like that cause the idiot that had the truck before me took it somewhere and they put too much grease in it or something and they busted. I seen balljoints for my truck, but they're a pain to install.

It's not a problem. Just like having a tear in you panties is no big deal.

That is untill you shit your pants.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
oh yeah, for the boots, i ripped mine too, but the local Advance auto parts sells just the boots. its not vehicle specific but i have had no problems.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ball joint fork, they have em at aid auto stores for 7 bucks, and like they said be careful with the boot. if not replace em. its easier to pop the upper ball joint with the lower and spring still attached, but it sounds like u already took them off.

·
Scooter
550 Posts
you can use a hammer and hit the knuckle on the spindle should drop out if not there is a tool that i use to seperate them.. called a Pitmen

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
jeez, ive done spindles, lifted and lowered many NBS trucks, and havent had to use a pickle fork yet. the trick is to leave the nuts on the balljoints... it keeps the tapers of the balljoints inline and then whack them.. a few good whacks in the right spot and they just pop. also with the nuts on there, there are no surprises from your springs when the balljoints finally pop(even though id never hit an unsupported LCA).

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I find the NBS suspension odd, I've never seen a lower control arm that the balljoint faced down .... when we put my srings in my truck it was our first time with this and it took us a while, we eventually just took the suspension loose at the upper ball joint and put the spring in this way.

We're about to tackle it for a second time with my cool ride kit, but hopefully since I got new upper and lower arms it should be easier, not to mention that the air spring should be easier to manipulate than a steel coil spring.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what you're talkin bout Lowred, but I can't get in between the upper and lower control arms to hit the upper out of place so how did you do it?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
way2hi said:
I know what you're talkin bout Lowred, but I can't get in between the upper and lower control arms to hit the upper out of place so how did you do it?
you have to hit the SIDE of the spindle, perpindicular to the bolt... dont hammer on the threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts