GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found the fifth LED bulb that has gone out on me for no apparent reason. Weird thing is, they don't just go out, they flicker like a strobe light, on and off in rapid succession.

First one I had in the driver's side door light. Second one was a week later right by the parking brake. Third was 2 weeks later in the speedo cluster. Fourth went out completely on the front turn signal and fifth was finally today on the passenger's side door light.

They're all 194 bulbs, 3 were white, 1 blue, and another amber. They're all from different distributors (E.M.D. , Ebay, and Autozone) Maybe someone with an electrical background can chime in, but what the hell is the problem? It's not like they're all burning out, they're just flickering :think:

Electrical wise, I have a new OEM 145a alternative, HIDs with designated power supply (not running off stock wiring), 1000w amp running around 700w for the subs, 500w running for the components, and electric fans from a F body, with a designated power supply.

Anyone else with this problem?
How can I keep this from happening again? Thanks :shake:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
the same exact thing has happened with about 5 of the 194s I used for my gauges. Both LEDs from superbrightleds.com and from EMD, also the ones from EMD have lasted longer than from SBL.com

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but E.M.D doesn't sell them anymore, at least last time I talked to him. Weird thing is, they shipped from a town less than 4 miles away last time.

So what gives?! Anyone proficient in the electrical field?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well dammit Phil I think I found the problem. You have a stereo right?

The answer was right in my damn house. My step dad's an electrical engineer :doh: He said there's a fine wire inside the housings that's thinner than a human hair, and mostly likely the vibration caused it to crack, thus whenever the wire heats up and cools down (turning on and off) it creates the strobe effect. He says theres a small chance it would have anything to do with power surges or any of the like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts