GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hope you guys have had some experience with this but i'm going to tell you what my friends did so you know exactly what happened maybe it will help. Hope i don't confuse anyone.

2 of my friends have the same z71. Both have 246 tcases with autotrac. One truck is black one is white so thats how i will discuss them. The guy with the white truck has a busted front diff. and his 4x4 lights do not work on the dash at all. He does not want 4x4 at all so my friend with the black truck wanted the white trucks tcase bc the black trucks t case is shot. Will not work in 4x4 but still worked in 2wd. Engages etc just will not spin the front shaft. So they decided to trade t cases. Put the white one in the black and the lights on the dash worked until he tried to engage it in 4wd and they shut off on the black truck now. So they pulled the white tcase back off the black truck and put the black stock tcase back on it. and the black trucks lights still will not come on. On the white truck they put the original t case back in it and pulled the front diff out because it was busted anyway. took the outer joint off the axles and bolted them into the hubs so the bearings wouldn't fall off. The white truck left and about 2 miles down the road it acted like it jumped in neutral. tcase stopped pulling completely. took it apart and it had about 4 ounces of oil in it. figured its shot now. but do you guys know why the tcase in the white truck when put in the black truck caused the lights to go out on the buttons? sorry for the long post.. trying to help these guys out

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Sounds like a cluster fuck, I would fix both trucks and call it a day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope no wires were pinched fuses are good. Whatever is up with the white trucks t case caused the black trucks buttons to go out. And its definitely a cluster fuck i can tell ya that! ! !

·
Registered
311 Posts
check the pushbuttom switches, i had to resolder mine after i bought it, took it home had it one week and the lights went out, dealer said they knew nothing about it, got on here and found the solution. I would check for wiring also...good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well something about the used tcase they stuck in it cause them to go out. i know its not in the wires or plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts