GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 39X18 Mickey thompson baja belted on 16.5X12 wheel. The tires ride smooth as can be at speed. The problem that I have is around 35-40 if I hit some small bumps it upsets the suspension and the front end shakes violently. I have to jump on the brakes hard to get it to stop shaking and start again. The alignment shop says that it may be the idler arm needs to be replaced. They said if it has any play in it that the big tires amplify it. I called whiplash to see if anyone else had this problem and right off the bad they asked if I had Mickey Thompson's. They say Mickey Thompson's are bad about this. I ordered a dual steering stabilizer and a new pitman arm and idler arm to see if this solves the problem or if it's just the tires. Has anyone else had this kind of problem.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Sevenfold said:
You do NOT need to order a new pitman and idler arm. They will just wear out again and you will need to buy new ones. I would seriously look into investing into some Cognito Motorsports pitman/idler arm supports. More info can be found here:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5411
Heh our local cognito salesman. Serisouly though, those are a great answer. If your problem lies in the pitman/idler arm those are your ticket to a better ride.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Yea take it from me, I just had the cognito kit installed a couple days ago and it made a Huge difference. The brackets are not much more than pitman/idler arms and will stop the wear and tear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am glad that you posted this thread, I have baja belted 36's with the EXACT same problem, the truck will begin to shake so violently that you have to accelerate through this speed very fast or slamm on the brakes, I thought that the tires may be out of balance but whatever you do to fix it let me know because it is driving me crazy!!!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
My friend has 36x14.50s and he has that same problem. What he found out is that its something with the sidewall, the wheel will actually wobble inside the tire since the side wal is very flexible. That is what he heard atleast, however those tires ride like a dream 45+

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I would imagine more air pressure might work...but it would make the middle of the tire wear faster...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
My friend has 36x14.50s and he has that same problem. What he found out is that its something with the sidewall, the wheel will actually wobble inside the tire since the side wal is very flexible. That is what he heard atleast, however those tires ride like a dream 45+
They do ride really smooth at 45 plus and even to about 30 but in that 5mph distance it will rattle and wobble your head off :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts