GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i dont know if this the correct section to put it in at my problem, ok i have a 04 silverado with the 5.3 i have a fuel cell on my truck well ive been having abig problem while driving it when i take off from a dead stop it runs good if its just been turn on but after runnig it for awhile and i give it gas it like just boggs down it looses power doesnt turn off just like it barely wants to go it mainly boggs down when it shifts i dont think its a transmission problem, but the only gode that it gives me is the evap code 0449 i think is the code, but i cant find the canister for the evap i dont think the guy that bagged it put it on or i just cant find it, i want to know if that would make it do that its been bagged for about 2 years now and has never done that.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
check ur fuel pump. I too have a fuel cell and have had to replace the pump a couple times. similar problems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i took it already to check the fuel pump out they put a gquge it to it to check the pressure and it was good but thinkin about it i hadnt driven the truck to far to were itll start messing up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea thats what everybody tells me but my year truck they dont have the filter no more on the line they are on the pump i dont know if those are serviseble.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can i really make sure its the pump, they hooked up the computer to the truck and no sensor is comming up everything shows as runnig good only in the history shows that it ran to lean one time something like that but not sure they said it might be the pump but not sure

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they checked the pressure twice already and it shows its good, the fuel pump is the stock one.

·
Professional Mini Trucker
453 Posts
That running lean in the history is a sign of dropping pressure/flow to the injectors. Also make sure that if you have a stock exhaust crossover pipe, check that there are no holes/leaks in it. This will give the rear O2 sensor a false reading (lean condition)

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
yeah it sounds like some kind of fuel problem if its cutting out right before it shifts which is at a higher rpm. when you put in the fuel cell, you could have damaged that fuel unit that goes in the tank. i dont know how they check fuel pressure, but a tuner could help you out possibly, if you can find somebody, then can sit on their laptop and monitor the truck when your driving it to find out whats happening when it stutters.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea it does it when it shifts, its when it wants to bog down, i tought it was my catylic converters and they told me they were good, the pump has veen in the fuel cell bout 2 years already with out problems.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
does it do it all the time or only when you are low on fuel...i know on coles truck when we first done the fuel cell we put the pick ups toward the cab instead of toward the tailgate so everytime he would nail it all the gas would run to the back of the tank away from the pick up and starve the truck for fuel

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
your truck should have a fuel filter on the driverside frame rail. the one that is attached to the fuel pump is the strainer. pretty sure in 04 they still had the external filter.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
your truck should have a fuel filter on the driverside frame rail. the one that is attached to the fuel pump is the strainer. pretty sure in 04 they still had the external filter.
Nope in tank filter I'm pretty sure.

·
the art of shredding
730 Posts
the fuel evap cannister your talking about is on the back of the stock fuel tank, mine came unplugged and it through the same code but did not have any issues. check engine light came on thats all.
usually when you have a fuel cell you put the fuel pump on the outside of it, and you need to run a higher pressure fuel pump because aftermarket fuel cells vent way differently. im guessing your problem happens no matter how much gas is in it. its probably your stock fuel pump not meeting the demands of the fuel cell. get a gnarlier fuel pump and you should be ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts