GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 4.8L engine. Used with 89,000 miles (got a helluva deal). Anyway, I have 2 problems with it and was wondering if anyone had either of these problems:

1. The gas gauge is sporadic. Sometimes it reads right, but most of the time it reads on E and the message center says low fuel. This happens even immediately after filling the truck up with gas. After driving for about 30 mins., it eventually finds its way back to the correct place.

2. When I put the truck in D and give it some gas, there is a very slight jerk from the rear end with a little deep squeaking sound (not a clunking sound). This only happens everytime I come to a complete stop and start.

If anyone can help me figure out these two things it would be appreciated. I'm new to the whole truck experience having previously owned a Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sierra Man said:
I recently purchased a 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 4.8L engine. Used with 89,000 miles (got a helluva deal). Anyway, I have 2 problems with it and was wondering if anyone had either of these problems:

1. The gas gauge is sporadic. Sometimes it reads right, but most of the time it reads on E and the message center says low fuel. This happens even immediately after filling the truck up with gas. After driving for about 30 mins., it eventually finds its way back to the correct place.

2. When I put the truck in D and give it some gas, there is a very slight jerk from the rear end with a little deep squeaking sound (not a clunking sound). This only happens everytime I come to a complete stop and start.

If anyone can help me figure out these two things it would be appreciated. I'm new to the whole truck experience having previously owned a Jeep Wrangler.
1. The gas guage was made by GM, it will never be correct. however, I think you may have a bad sending unit.

2. Slip yoke maybe, someone else who has a newer one should be able to tell you...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the truck to the dealer today for service repairs for these two problems.

#1 - Fuel tank level sensor was bad, replaced with new, had to drain the gas tank to get to it

#2 - Replace driveshaft slip yoke that goes into the transmission output shaft due to binding

Both items were covered under warranty at no cost to me. I was so happy, I finally bought that missing 4x4 sticker for the right hand side of the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts