GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i am having a few probs with my rear brakes

1. When the parking brake is put on it works great, but when released it wont release until i drive like 1/4 mile. so i have not been using it but will need it when i go back to school in sept.

2. my pass. side rear brake locks up long before the others will, so coming to a stop sign or light it will skid while the others are still rolling and this is while just coming to a stop like normal. this caused me to almost hit someone on the highway this morning while slowing down in the rain cause the backend wanted to come around cause the tire locked up. this was the first time it happened and then it happened a couple other times this morning after that.

any helpful hints would be great

·
Registered
601 Posts
I responded to you q on another board, but what the hell, I can repeat.

1. Sounds like a sticking cable. Crawl underneath and lube her up good! :D

2. Wheel cylinder or axle seal are likely causes. Have to pull the drum to know for sure. When the fluids get on the shoes they become sticky. It is a good idea to replace the shoes, and if you don't want to do that heat them up with a torch (you'll see the stuff bubble to the top) and use a little high grit sand paper to clean em.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
jebx said:
I responded to you q on another board, but what the hell, I can repeat.

1. Sounds like a sticking cable. Crawl underneath and lube her up good! :D

2. Wheel cylinder or axle seal are likely causes. Have to pull the drum to know for sure. When the fluids get on the shoes they become sticky. It is a good idea to replace the shoes, and if you don't want to do that heat them up with a torch (you'll see the stuff bubble to the top) and use a little high grit sand paper to clean em.
:word: to both. You might pull the drum off and have a look in there too, you may need to clean the adjuster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts