GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 02 Gixxer 600 Telefonica... It has a shit load of what looks like light scratches on the tail from say something like a shoe scuffing it when throwing your leg over to get on... Also the seat cowl has what looks like sand paper marks I guess from the cowl sliding on the ground... Anyway what Im getting at is can you give me some step by step instructions on how I should go about preping the bike to try and get as much of the marks out.... I am going to try and take some pics but Im not sure how good the marks will show up.... All of the marks look as though there in the clear.... Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
well as far as the piant part goes IMO.....use your pinky nail to feel the scratches...if your nail can get caught in them they are too deep to do anything with...otherewise a good compound and polish should take those out..

as for the lights....you should be able to wet sand those down and polish em out...then buy some clear coat and clear coat em

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe I was waiting for you to answer... So say the scrathces are not fingernail deep what should I use to get them out? Products, steps would be nice... There arent any scratches on the lights just the plastics...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
any good polish should work....and spend a little bit of time on it..

i dont know what kind fo products you have access to but you could pick up some Poor Boys polish 2.0 and then work your way down to the 1.0...these would hafte be used with a PC or some sort of polisher.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have access to a PC or Poorboys polish.... Are ther any parts store brands that you could recomend??? Also what steps can you give me? As in

1 Clean the bike using dawn or whatever?
2 Start with this product then move to this.
3 Tools needed... Pads microfiber towls?

So on.... Thanks again....

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
hmm....lol......it is hard for me to do a step by step by writing it out!....i wish i could do a tech article on this or something and post pics...

if you dont have a polisher/buffer i dont really know what to tell ya?....there is really no way to polish/buff by hand....

you could try using some of that scratch-x stuff...some guys really seem to like it....i am not a big fan of it just cuz it has alot of filler in it...is not a true cut polish..but it should work for what you are lookin for

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you're going to work it by hand you'll need something fairly abrasive, and you'll need to work it in a lot. Off of a store shelf you could try 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound, again work it in really, really well, otherwise it won't break down and you won't see much if any improvement. Move to something less abrasive after that, say 3M Swirl Mark Remover. I don't think the compound will leave too much hazing so SMR should do a good job of polishing it out. After that you should be good to go, just follow up with a coat of wax and it should look much better.
Be prepared to do up to 2-3 passes each with both the compound and SMR, working by hand takes time but you can achieve pretty good results

And it wouldn't hurt to pick up some applicator pads for each product and a couple of MF's for removal :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I dont have access to a PC or Poorboys polish.... Are ther any parts store brands that you could recomend??? Also what steps can you give me? As in

1 Clean the bike using dawn or whatever?
2 Start with this product then move to this.
3 Tools needed... Pads microfiber towls?

So on.... Thanks again....
You always have access to poorboys polish, it'll just take a couple days to get to you :)

Unfortunately, as some of these guys stated, removing deep cuts from dropping the bike is just not possible, especially by hand. However, improving some of the scuff marks can happen, albeit, not very easily by hand.

However, w/ that being said, what I would do; you can wash with dawn for a bike, but after the initial wash w/ dawn, I would move to a wax safe wash. I have small pint size bottles on the site which will last you a long time for bikes. I would also clay any bad areas honestly. It might even help to smooth some of the areas you're having problems with. Next is to pick up some clearkote vanilla moose hand wax glaze, then move on to red moose glaze, then top it with yellow cream wax and finish with carnuba moose wax. Might sound like a lot, but you'll get a little corrective properties, some filling action, slickness and shine. I think its your best option given your scenario honestly.
Work them with some applicator pads and remove with nice microfiber towels such as the elite towel or dmt's.
I can have you the stuff by the weekend if you want since you're only in MD. Lemme know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.... Those were the responses I was looking for..... There arent realy any BAD marks on the bike.... From what I can see its just in the clear and not too deep....

Chris- The products you suggested, what parts store could I pick those up from? Also how much shipped would it be for some Poor Boys? Maybe I should go out and get a PC I think my stepfather has one so..

What kind of pads should I get if I can get a PC?
The bike has factory stickers on it and I dont want the polish to get on the edges, you know what I mean when it gets in the edges and wont come out...

Thanks again guys for being so patient with a NEWB

·
Registered
374 Posts
FWIW a glaze will hide the defects but they don't last very long. then again since it's a bike and won't see as much washing it could hold up longer. A glaze wouldn't be a bad idea though, it'd cover up the marks a bit more before applying wax.

PB's products can only be found online (As far as I know, maybe back where he's based they're sold locally). If you get a PC I'd get the Edge pad system for it, I use it with my rotary and love it. And if you're careful enough you won't get product in the cracks, just watch what your doing :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Chris- The products you suggested, what parts store could I pick those up from? Also how much shipped would it be for some Poor Boys? Maybe I should go out and get a PC I think my stepfather has one so..

What kind of pads should I get if I can get a PC?
The bike has factory stickers on it and I dont want the polish to get on the edges, you know what I mean when it gets in the edges and wont come out...
I carry all of those items listed above Adam. I also have the whole poorboys line, it would just be a matter of what in particular you were looking to pick up. Shoot me a pm and we'll work out what you'd like if you prefer going w/ the poorboys line. I'd still suggest a glaze, to help hide some defects though.

As for pads, its a personal preference really. Again, shoot me a pm. I have some 4" pads that might work well for you considering youre working on a bike which has smaller panels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts