GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say, my dad bought a sierra back in 2000 and has been extremely happy with it. Drives great and has an excellent powertrain. However, I rarely get to ride in his truck. But a few days ago I did and I was just taken aback at the shitty quality of the interior. His car has about 75k on it and it is heavily used every day, and the interior is just falling apart! The worst thing is the locks on the doors are loose in the door panel? wtf kind of quality is that? I then get in my moms toyota minivan, which granted only has 55k on it, but the interior is SOLID AS A ROCK, perfect, just like day one. Why is it that's gm's interior build is so shitty? Kinda of sucks that my new truck is going to be in that same condition down the road

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
thats how u take the door locks out.. maybe someone shouldn't take them out? Things break, and you said its heavily used:read: If you want a toyota, go buy one. My 01 is in perfect condition and i drive the piece every day.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
:word: GM interiors su(k. Aside from the new line of Cadillac's and certain other vehicles (GTO, new Malibu, etc.), GM can't boast about interior design or quality. The NBS trucks are very disappointing when compared to the new F-150 and other manufactures, IMO. :read:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
thats how u take the door locks out.. maybe someone shouldn't take them out? Things break, and you said its heavily used:read: If you want a toyota, go buy one. My 01 is in perfect condition and i drive the piece every day.
I agree, u did say it was HEAVILY USED EVERYDAY, and ur mom prob doesnt beat the $hit outta the minivan right?

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Are you kidding? If there are little kids in that family I guarantee the van interior sees double the abuse the truck does. Toyotas are just the shit. :D

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Im guessing I abuse my truck more than most people here, and with some basic maintanance my interior is in just fine condition aside from mud stains and crap thats my fault.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
"heavily used" that is the problem right there.

I take it your dad isn't big into cars and just beats the crap out of them then gets a new one every few years.

The interior of my 00 still looks pretty much new to me. Leather still smells new, fit and finish is nice, but then again, i treat my truck like a possession i'd like to keep.

Does your dad work out of this truck? You really can't judge a whole product line by one instance, especially when we don't even know the background of the vehicle you are talking about except that it is "heavily used"

Sounds like its been made into a POS to me :read:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to answer some of the questions here....the vehicle has not be abused whatsoever. And no my dad is not the type that buys a new vehicle every few years. In fact he has already told me this truck has to last him the rest of his life. Concerning the two vehicles, both have been used heavily. And by "heavily" I don't me abused as in work construction stuff. I just mean daily commuting with 2 kids. Both vehicles go about 50 miles a day. Toyota interior is just holding up MUCH better. GMC is not doing so well. Everything on the truck is pretty study except for the interior. And personally it is not my opinion that you should have to "baby" a truck as some of you do, to keep it from degrading or falling apart. This cup holder fold down thing is simply pathetic. My dad told me the other day that my mom almost ripped it out try to open that damn thing :crazy:

And then there's just the little things that piss you off about the gm like the common messed up fuel gauge, broken power window motor, piston slap.....blah blah.

Still a great truck becuase it's very reliable drive wise, and can tow well. That's why I'm getting an 05 sierra :shake:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
my old sonoma's interior was shitty as hell but ofcourse i had a hell of a system in it (2 15's with 2k watts) shaking the shit out of everything inside of it

i have had my truck exatly one year and the interior still looks brand new

i agree with steave its all in how you take care of he vehicke

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
you should team up with Hovis:imo:

my 1990 had 211k when i sold it, and not a rattle to be heard in the interior :read:

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
my 01 looks pretty new and i havent had nay probs with things getting lose or falling apart. I certainly dont baby it at all and have rattled the shit outa it on dirt roads and its held up just fine. I always liked the GM interiors because they didnt look/feel like shit compared to fords and other trucks ive been in. The only other truck that i really like the inside to is the dodge hemi with the 2 tone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 97 and my dads 98 doesnt have one thing wrong with their interior or exterior. We both drive them everyday. They dont rattle or anything. I think your dad should take care of his truck IMO. No offense, but just like everyone else said, if you treat it like shit its gonna be shit.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've put my Toyota through more than you could believe. Put the transmission in Reverse while driving 40mph, have driven in 2nd gear (80mph while on the redline) for 25-miles, brake stands, general off-road abuse, and I've slammed the driver's door as hard as I can a few times when pissed off. Those things have been done several times and for the record, I was 16 and stupid. :crazy:

The only problem I've had is the differential needing replacement (122,500 miles). Toyota's are truely built to withstand almost anything.....even beyond reason.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
OrangeCrush said:
you should team up with Hovis:imo:

my 1990 had 211k when i sold it, and not a rattle to be heard in the interior :read:
we'd be quite a team!

seriously, though, my '92 had no interior problems (this is not my first GMFS) things have changed, the NBS interiors are very poorly put together. my tundra had better quality and better fitting plastics but still suffered from many door rattles and the seatbelt retractors were broken at 88k, so toyota is by no means perfect either.

what gets me is the whole professional grade bullshit. i don't think there would be as much of a problem if GM didn't try to pass this shit off as "professional" -the term is arbitrary, it's not like there is some standard that they're meeting. anyone who has taken marketing 101 knows that this is merely a tool by which GM can fool the consumer into thinking they're getting product that is somehow of better quality than the rest. the commercial where the car parts land in the field really pisses me off, to think that GM spent countless hours perfecting a truly professional grade truck. riddle me this, who the fuck designed the sunvisors that you have to push forward to release? my better half drives an '03 envoy and the interior suffers from the same poor quality, poor fit and finish, and rattles. i try to keep my posts clean but please excuse me when i say professional grade is a fucking joke. marketing tool, nothing more :nono:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
BaggedC10 said:
:word: GM interiors su(k. Aside from the new line of Cadillac's and certain other vehicles (GTO, new Malibu, etc.), GM can't boast about interior design or quality. The NBS trucks are very disappointing when compared to the new F-150 and other manufactures, IMO. :read:

i totaly disagree with you, when my dad was shopping for a new truck, he brought home a loaded 04 F-150 Supercrew, and loaded 04 Dodge Hemi, and a loaded 04 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crewcab. my dad had been driving fords for a few years now, but when he saw the interior of the new fords, he completely turned around, even the dodge was nicer than the ford. needless to say, he bought the chevy, and doesnt regret it one bit. Also my interior has 82,000 long miles on it with lots of use, mines still in perfect condition. I guess its how you take care of them :imo

·
Registered
7 Posts
heres my whole theory on the new ford and dodge interiors. They put in so much fake silver aluminum shit and paint everything that you dont even want to get in the damn thing cause your scared of scratching up your dash thats made out of coke cans. :read: Granted their nice, but GM has done well, the interior is nice enough for most but they can sell a decenly priced work truck as well, with out all the aluminum. Also, they keep it comfy where ford and dogde seats are stiff IMO

1 - 20 of 61 Posts