GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, I picked up a 1991 SWB RCSB with the tbi 350 out in Taylor Tx. I have been planning out it's build since.

Plans are:
*Low static drop with rear 4-link
*Freshened up 350 with small Lunati cam, lifters and Z28 springs
*Bonspeed wheels 20x8.5 and 20x12 which are set to ship Monday!
*Narrowed rear-end
*Fuel cell due to wide wheels and 4-link

Here are some pics:

IMG_0734_zps8tflridk.jpg

IMG_0738%201_zpsouxyztes.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsz4nbu9hs.jpg

IMG_0739%201_zpsp84naqea.jpg

IMG_0743_zpswsingnmd.jpg

IMG_0740%201_zpsmtwax0i1.jpg

Some of the bad:

I checked the oil cap/dipstick when I bought the truck, which looked clean but started tearing into it yesterday and found a horribly plugged pvc valve. I know the previous owner changed the water pump but that's about all I know of the history. The dipstick shows no milkiness but the top end says otherwise...

IMG_0976_zpseed1vzmr.jpg

IMG_0979_zpsgyn7wq0d.jpg

Planning on doing a tear down and diagnose to determine level of rebuild. She only has 138K miles on her and runs smooth but smokes on start up.

The wheels:

palisadebonspeed%202009%20040.jpg

All in all, I am excited to have a full on project. I ended up selling all my NNBS parts so I can focus on this. I think its a good, straight Texas truck which will be a good platform.

I will be sure to document everything I do.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
if the engine looks like that, youd be better off putting in a 5.3 rather than rebuilding that with a cam or anything. but looks like a straight truck, and other plans sound good

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if the engine looks like that, youd be better off putting in a 5.3 rather than rebuilding that with a cam or anything. but looks like a straight truck, and other plans sound good
I've thought about this and have access to a Tahoe with 5.3 and trans but the cost still is higher than I am wanting to spend. It's all the small stuff that adds up on these swaps. I may investigate further but for now, the tbi will do. This is going to be a cruiser with a autoX look.

Paint and front end are still undecided.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
Depending on how much you get the motor for and how much you plan on doing yourself it could cost under $500 for the swap parts easily

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
I've thought about this and have access to a Tahoe with 5.3 and trans but the cost still is higher than I am wanting to spend. It's all the small stuff that adds up on these swaps. I may investigate further but for now, the tbi will do. This is going to be a cruiser with a autoX look.

Paint and front end are still undecided.
This, just get it running and going, you can always swap it later. A nice set of lifters for a 5.3 will cost more than you'll invest in that current motor.

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheels shipped! Will post pics once they arrive.

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wheels are here!

IMG_1031_zpspl79nebi.jpg

IMG_1030_zpsczidgsfo.jpg

·
Meh....
23 Posts
Last month, I picked up a 1991 SWB RCSB with the tbi 350 out in Taylor Tx. I have been planning out it's build since.

Plans are:
*Low static drop with rear 4-link
*Freshened up 350 with small Lunati cam, lifters and Z28 springs
*Bonspeed wheels 20x8.5 and 20x12 which are set to ship Monday!
*Narrowed rear-end
*Fuel cell due to wide wheels and 4-link

Here are some pics:

IMG_0738%201_zpsouxyztes.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsz4nbu9hs.jpg
You Suck.

Signed: The Northeast :perkinswhatever:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts