GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY bought myself a 5.3 off of a member on here. Flossinon24s I think is his member name. Really cool dude. I drove down a couple of weeks ago and drove the truck and everything. 99 5.3 with a 108k on it. I went back down with the truck and trailer on saturday and we pulled the motor out...took us about a day. I got the engine with all the accessories and a 4L60E. The 4L60E is for sale as I will be using my stock NV3500. Will let go cheap if someone wants it!

Here's some pics...

2012-03-10202026451.jpg

Here is what my truck looks like now...minus the new trail graps I bought about a month ago. My sig makes my truck look like shit lol

253402_230534286961853_100000158506328_1172179_2249315_n.jpg

I'll post some pics up of the new trail graps. I also got rid of my work truck seats and bought seats with a jump seat. One of the best mods I've done...love the new seats. Will post pics of those too.

I've got some questions though as I'm a newb.

1) From my understanding..I'm gonna need a clutch and flywheel from a 4.8 truck? What year should I get it from?

2) I'm gonna need fuel rails from a 04+ 5.3?

3) EGR block plate?

4) What's the thing called that goes in place of the fan cause I have electric fans?

5) Need to send the PCM to Blackbear.

Lemme know what ya'll think and any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Black Widow
1,134 Posts
Will the engine harness of the 99 V8 fit the 05 PCM?? its my understanding you need "like years" for engine swaps to make everything easier

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the engine harness of the 99 V8 fit the 05 PCM?? its my understanding you need "like years" for engine swaps to make everything easier
I've got the PCM from the 5.3 and the harness. I'm not gonna use my 4.3 PCM.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I did a lot of reasearch doing this swap onto my o7c, so maybe i can help.

I see you have a 05 nbs, you need an engine harness, gas pedal, and TAC module off an 05-07c truck with a 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 half ton and matching ECU. The stuff from the 99 engine you have wont work with the rest of your truck. Also if you gonna use the motor you need to swap out the fuel rails for a returnless set up. Perfect time to upgrade to a nnbs IM and tb. You don't need a harness for your efans if you get an engine harness from 05+ 1/2 ton truck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a lot of reasearch doing this swap onto my o7c, so maybe i can help.

I see you have a 05 nbs, you need an engine harness, gas pedal, and TAC module off an 05-07c truck with a 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 half ton and matching ECU. The stuff from the 99 engine you have wont work with the rest of your truck. Also if you gonna use the motor you need to swap out the fuel rails for a returnless set up. Perfect time to upgrade to a nnbs IM and tb. You don't need a harness for your efans if you get an engine harness from 05+ 1/2 ton truck.
I don't understand why the engine harness won't work? I've got the computer from the 99. You are saying the big plug won't fit under the fuse box?

Why would I need a gas pedal? My 4.3 has the throttle cable, which is the same set up as the 5.3.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Dang, you got what I want lol, NBS RCSB with a lift, and standard transmission. Good luck with the swap. I remember you saying you wanted a 6.0 and nv4500, but its probly a good thing you went with a 5.3 keeping your nv3500 trans, it should hold up better behind the 5.3. And will also be a big jump inpower over the 4.3

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang, you got what I want lol, NBS RCSB with a lift, and standard transmission. Good luck with the swap. I remember you saying you wanted a 6.0 and nv4500, but its probly a good thing you went with a 5.3 keeping your nv3500 trans, it should hold up better behind the 5.3. And will also be a big jump inpower over the 4.3
Put a lift in yours! Your color is awsome, would look sick with a lift on it.

I wanted a lq4, but I had to buy tires and I just payed the truck off so funds got a lil low.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to the salvage yard this morning. He doesn't sell the harnesses seperate. He always sells them with the engines. I'm gonna check ebay for a harness or maybe see call Nelson tuning and see how much their harnesses are. Guy is suppose to call me back when he gets a intake and a gas pedal with the module.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What headers and cam do ya'll recommend? I was looking at I believe they were pacesetters and the black ones were like 250 and the stainless were 500. Thats a big price jump...whats the deal with that? And for a cam I have no idea what to get. I just want something mild with some chop to it. I would like for my power to be down low. The truck is a 5 speed with 4.56's front and rear rolling on 35's.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Put a lift in yours! Your color is awsome, would look sick with a lift on it.

I wanted a lq4, but I had to buy tires and I just payed the truck off so funds got a lil low.
Would love to, but dealing with highschool and double digit paychecks for now lol. I ve got some plans for down the road though.

You will have some fun with that 5.3 jump from a v6. Its probly gonna feel like a race truck for a while haha.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Went to the salvage yard this morning. He doesn't sell the harnesses seperate. He always sells them with the engines. I'm gonna check ebay for a harness or maybe see call Nelson tuning and see how much their harnesses are. Guy is suppose to call me back when he gets a intake and a gas pedal with the module.
check car-part.com or just chevy turcks.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
100-150 for a harness pcm is about right. Try to get a harness that has the ecu, tac module, and gas pedal from the same truck.
Alright I'll check it out. Thanks alot!

You know anything abt the clutch and flywheel I need? I know I need a 4.8l clutch and flywheel, but what year do I get?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts