GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the hoe in the shop last night for the motor swap, converter swap, roll pan install, subs install, etc. If we get far enough along, we may begin fabbing the intercooler setup, but I doubt it. I'm going to do my best to get it on the road by saturday night, but I doubt that'll happen. I'll try to update the thread with pics and vids as we go along.

The new motor is a bone stock 4.8. I got tired of breaking shit every 3 weeks, so I tamed it down so i can drive it daily again, without worrying. If you bought that, please leave the thread now. :LOL:

To start things off... the motor began life as a LQ9 in a 2005 escalade. It had 20k miles on it, and was in VERY good shape. The pistons still had the teflon coating on them, and it had a little carbon build-up, so it wasn't driven very hard. I tore it down and had it bored over .030, resulting in a 370ci motor. In order to build boost safely, I dropped the compression to 8.8, by using forged Diamond pistons with a 15cc dish. The rods are forged Eagle H-beam offsets, so they line up directly with the bore, and don't put extra stress on the cylinder walls. I had the crank polished, installed new main bearings, and had a custom cam ground that should help make alot of torque. The heads were surfaced and treated to a valve job. I'm obviously going to need more fuel, so I picked up a set of 60# injectors too. I had already maxed out the stock MAF, so per Justin's recommendation, I got a 2 bar MAP sensor, which should be much more reliable than interpolating the values of the stock sensor. He also set me up with a speed density tune, that's run on a custom operating system. I can't say enough about how much help he's provided me in the last several months. My only complaint is that I still don't have my decal, but I was told that it's in the mail. :D

As I said before, I'm doing all of the work in my friend's shop. This has several benefits, but the one downfall is the group of onlookers that "just don't get it." :imo

I had the following conversation about 10 times today...

"Why didn't you just build a race car?"
"I did. It just weighs 5800 lbs."
"What in the hell did you do that for?"
"yeah... I don't know." :think: :whyme:

I tried to explain it to all of them, but only a few understood. The rest thought I was stupid, crazy, or just didn't know how to respond. Either way... it was a good time. I'm normally only there on saturdays, when its nothing but hot rods. During the week, its just normal people getting repairs... a very different crowd, that obviously did not relate to my mentality.

As I opened the hood, and discovered this mess, I thought "oh sh!t... what have I got myself into?"

DSCN3680.jpg

Then I started taking it apart. Notice the puddle of oil in the throttle body.

DSCN3671.jpg

A little more progress... all accessories and intake pulled. Keeping that wiring out of the way is going to be a huge PITA.

DSCN3681.jpg

I really wanted to see the damage I did, so I went ahead and pulled the heads. This is the driver's side. There are a couple good size pieces missing from pistons 5 and 7. I knew that I lost number 7, but 5 was a surprise. For those who aren't mechanically inclined... the puddle of oil and fuel in the cylinders is not a good thing. :LOL:

DSCN3685.jpg

DSCN3686.jpg

After removing the bolts from the bellhousing, torque converter, headers, and motor mounts, the motor is just resting under the hood and waiting to be pulled. I'll have better pics of the carnage tomorrow. The good news is the heads are in great shape, so all I have to do is bore the block and throw a set of pistons in it, and it'll be ready for the other project. :secret:

Here are the new heads.

DSCN3668.jpg

I'm going to assemble the top end tomorrow morning, install the new torque converter, and start running wires for the new stereo system. :D With any luck, we'll be dropping the new motor in tomorrow afternoon.

till tomorrow...

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Nice project, should be pretty bad ass once its up and running. Justin does a good job tuning, my friends truck with a tune by him hauls ass. Sucks that there is always a problem with #7 :suicide:

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
People don't understand why I want to put a turbo Vortec 454 into my beat-to-hell work truck.... I understand your reasons! :shake: :head:

P.S. I LOVE your Tahoe! :bowtie:

·
Architecture owns me
2,351 Posts
I just wanted to post so I can see updates, but I bet it will be badass in the end

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Uhoh, cat's out of the bag now! :rofl2:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is that whipple going on the new motor??
yes... the amount of boost that I'll run is still unknown at this time. But whatever the number is, it'll go up when we get the intercooler fabbed up... custom made pulley! :D

Uhoh, cat's out of the bag now! :rofl2:
There are still a few unknowns. Those pics show whats being removed... not what I have in store. :head:

Well... I didn't get much done today. I cut my hand pretty bad while working on it this morning, so I had to go the hospital and get 6 stitches. The top of those heads are like a giant razor blade. The pic doesn't look too bad, but the blood was literally gushing out of it. :bawl:

ouch.jpg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well your secret is safe with me. :secret:

Gashes are always fun, I have many on my hands. Just think, now you're an even bigger badass. :rofl2:

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
good deal so far. youll love the 370 with 8.8 comp. i know i do. Im using the same pistons as you and make a good amount of boost. when i switched heads and put head studs in a few weeks ago i sliced the crap out of my fingers too. That pretty much ended the day! Cant wait to see it running again.

p.s. i think we both should have built racecars!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good deal so far. youll love the 370 with 8.8 comp. i know i do. Im using the same pistons as you and make a good amount of boost. when i switched heads and put head studs in a few weeks ago i sliced the crap out of my fingers too. That pretty much ended the day! Cant wait to see it running again.

p.s. i think we both should have built racecars!!
I got several smaller cuts from taking it apart, but this one is wide and deep. I "m buying gloves tomorrow. :LOL:

yeah, but its fun surprising people in a 5800lb truck :LOL:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
This is putting a fire under my ass to put the Z together. :rofl2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
all i have to say is, this project looks like it'll be a fun one. keep us updated and goodluck!!! can't wait till i can get home and do my vortech setup.

oh and just tell them you're building it to tow all your race cars.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is putting a fire under my ass to put the Z together. :rofl2:
do it! I want to see those plans come to life. :head:

all i have to say is, this project looks like it'll be a fun one. keep us updated and goodluck!!! can't wait till i can get home and do my vortech setup.

oh and just tell them you're building it to tow all your race cars.
I'll probably end up using it to tow my other project around in a couple years. I have plans for the 5.3 that I pulled. It should propel an 1800lb car pretty well. :D

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
do it! I want to see those plans come to life. :head:

Just have to decide on the axle setup out back and I'll start the build up! :head:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts