GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any pics/links to projector retrofits done on our trucks? Preferably the GMC NBS.

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have. I'll be using a Denali type headlight for my GMC. Hopefully won't have as much labor involved.:think:

EDIT: Speaking of that, I need some pics of the back of OEM Denali headlight housings. New thread time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Last year I did a retro on a set of TYC projector headlights on my 2000 Sierra. I used the TSX projectors. It took me about 45 hrs. or so to complete the job, but it was well worth the trouble.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn't really have a link to do these lights. I saw someone did a retro on FSC forum, but it was an older non projector type light. Those are even more work. If you're working on a projector light already, then you only have to take the light apart, remove the crap projector that comes on the aftermarket lights and install the TSX or whatever projector. Sounds easy, huh? If you're good with a dremel and epoxy, it's not too bad. The worst of it was aiming the darn things. Not only up/down, left/right, but you have to get the cut off level too. Lots of fun. If I knew how to post pics, I'd take my lights out and take some shots and post em so you can get an idea of what's involved. I'll see if I can figure it out. [not too sharp with computers. Wrong generation.] I'll be back.

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
I have been a member of HIDplaned for a few years now but over the last year I had to tell my self no more. I started buying things and never used them I just dont have the balls to cut into my headlight yet. Im hoping that the more retros I see the more I can convince myself to do it. I have all the major parts already just the small loose ends I need to gather up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pick up a a set of aftermarket headlights [cheaper the better], and use those as your as your test bed. Cut small at first, and get larger as you go. It;s not so difficult once you take them apart and see what makes them tick, so to speak. Like I mentioned before, use projector lights to begin with, it's much easier.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
I'm running HIDs in OEM Denali projectors and there wasn't anything involved aside from putting the HID in them...... am I missing something?

The cutoffline is just fine with them too.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
I'm running HIDs in OEM Denali projectors and there wasn't anything involved aside from putting the HID in them...... am I missing something?

The cutoffline is just fine with them too.
Me too, but they're illegal according to DOT laws. Denali projectors were designed for Halogens, and that's all you're allowed (by law) to run.

I've, knock on wood, never had a problem, and even with stringent NYS Vehicle Safety Inspection requirements, haven't failed.

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
I was aware that putting HIDs in them was illegal just don't really care. If that is the only concern, there are far more things i'd get ticketed for before the headlights, such as my HID fogs and highs, and the fact that I can run lows, fogs and highs at the same time, as well as tint. We don't have inspection here :D

The 88 is another story, it's got about 100 things i could be ticketed for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You're right. Denali headlights aren't supposed to have HID's in them, but it works. A true HID projector puts out a better light pattern. I just like tinkering with things and adding my own touch to stuff. Besides, the TYCs that I,m running were cheaper than getting Denalis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.