GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those unfamiliar with the history of my truck, it started out as this:
PICT0024.jpg

A 1979 GMC body on a chevy 76 frame. Just a streetable 4x4 i took out on the weekends.

Then it became a trailer queen when i put the 39.5's on it and cut them.
_P7270045.gif

Then, i was building this:
tr0004s.jpg

Putting a '86 S10 on the 76 frame.

And NOW! It has...become ...this??
abuildup0001.jpg

Bog trucks don't fit well on race car trailers so i had to put some move around tires on it. Plus it is just easier to prep the rear frame for welding the new bed mounts.

So on with what ive been doing the past 2 weeks!

New front cab mounts. You couldnt really see the gussets so i highlighted them. They came up alot higher than i was hoping inorder to get the cab level but dont think i will have a problem with them, i made them out of 11 guage so they should be sturdy enough.
abuildup0002.jpg

The rear cab mounts:
abuildup0003.jpg

I have steering!
abuildup0004.jpg

I made it from parts of the original '76 steering shaft, 2 different '86 s10 shafts, a chevy mini van, and some very HIGH FUCKING PRICED dana spicer parts.
Still need to put some more welds on it and clean it up/paint it. Im hoping the D44 goes before it does. (nervouse "lol")

My new dash!
abuildup0013.jpg

I made it out of galvanized. I was going to paint it all gloss black but im kinda diggin the face plate as it is.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Nice progress. Leave the dash galvy-like (dont paint it).

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
PICT0024.jpg

mmmmmmmmmm, soupy!!

nice build

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
i love the stripe down the door on the s-dime baby! if i brought my truck down can you duplicate??

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice progress. Leave the dash galvy-like (dont paint it).
Thanks. I was thinking about doing diamond plate but everybody does that.
The galv has grown on me. I think i will leave it.

nice build
Appreciate it.
..and yes, that was some great mud to play in. I loved that place.

i love the stripe down the door on the s-dime baby! if i brought my truck down can you duplicate??
The stripe or the body swap? The stripe, prob not, the body swap, yeah, as long as you dont mind letting it sit for 5 months!
:LOL:
Im eventually going to paint it the same dark grey as my dd.

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant wait to see it in action also. It has been nearly a year since ive bogged it.

The dude was laughing at me. I was having a hell of a time getting up out of the trench so i was rocking back and forth in my seat yelling "come on you bitch".

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Where in the hell is that second pic from?? Your making me wish I had a truck to beat up/wrench on...or 4 wheel drive for that matter lawlz. :cheers:

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where in the hell is that second pic from?? Your making me wish I had a truck to beat up/wrench on...or 4 wheel drive for that matter lawlz. :cheers:
It is the kiddie pool at pudding creek there in Perry.
ff22.jpg

I hit the hole my back tires were in and snapped both stub shafts. Then like a tard i just stood on it and set it down.
Took both my friend Ray and the ford to get me out.

Thanks folks. If i dont freeze my ass off im going to mount the seats in it tonight.

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update for anyone who cares.

The steering is finally 100% done and mounted up!
Stearing.jpg

This is so not the right way to have mounted the new rear xmemeber but the rear frame was in really bad shape so notching the frame would have been difficult w/o heating the frame up and beating it back to something more ...geometrical.
xmem.jpg

So, a 4x4 .25 inch thick piece of steal is now my new rear bumper.

A better pic of it and the bed mounts:
bedmount.jpg

With the bed back on it for the last time! (i hope, taking it on and off was getting to be a pita)
doneish.jpg

I got paid again so im HOPING to have it cranking by this weekend.

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I had it turning over but i ..uh...broke the selanoid.

SO. Gona pick a new one up today at lunch and set the distributor tuesday.
I will have to stick a water hose in it to keep it cool till i can build a cooling system for it but unless the carb is messed up from sitting so long it should fire right up.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Awsome progress Dave.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
thats gonna be one badass motherfocker

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks yall!
Im hopping it will be bad ass. If i completely redo the top end and go with some good alumn heads i am hoping to make 500hp at the crank on 110.
I will have to turn its guts out to get there but i will be happy with a consisten 450.
That shouldnt be that hard. Just expensive, what will be hard will be getting it down to 2900 lbs!!

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that is the goal anyway..first time i screw up cutting a piece of lexan i might just go, "awh fuck it..it is just a bog truck".
:LOL:

·
this
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured it was time to update this.
SO!

Finally have everything mounted down in the bed. Just need to run the plumbing for the radiator.
truck0002.jpg

Gona build some sort of cover for the back, just not sure on exactly what i want to do with it.
(..and if you look closely you can see i cut up an old chevy floormat to use as rubber washers to bolt down the radiator! :rofl2: )

Hood pins and trans cooler:
truck0001.jpg

I prob should go ahead and put the grill/front on but i have been busy with other crap.

The cluster fuck of wiring i have temporarily dangling. I'm not sure if i like how im doing it so im prob gona redo all of it.
truck0005.jpg

Mess behind the dash, seats mounted:
truck0006.jpg

I was having a hell of a time trying to make a linkage between the tcase shifter and the tcase. Like, i spent 4 hours moving the shifter around and modifying the old linkage. I even made a new linkage and it didnt work.
Finally the guy helping me just grabbed some scrap we had lying around and extended the shifter and the tcase shifter each by 2.5 inches. I took a piece of galv. 3/8 rod and beat it with a hammer to sorta look like some kinda of linkage. I will be damned it if didnt work perfectly!
truck0007.jpg

Prob just gona use the scrap, just brace it and make it look a little less retarded.

Between me being sick and the guy i bought the truck from having a family member being close to death, i havent had a chance to pick up the other truck so no update on this:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83407
But i will post pics when i pick it up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts