GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my truck to propane... Anyone know of any companies that offer the kits for the late models? 96 with 454...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
... No clue, sounds like a HUGE undertaking, but im not an engine man so I could be wrong.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
it cant be that hard. ive seen it done on a POS molester van :anitoof:

havent seen a kit out there, but it would be damn cool to do it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Why propane? other than save on gas your not gaining much. On a gas engine propane doesnt add power. I owned a 1976 K2500 with a 350 small block with a propane set up.. it wasnt nothing special.

·
GMFS Firefighter
133 Posts
Actally, engines will last a lot longer on propane. We have a manlift that had a nissan gas engine. it also has a set up to run on propane for if you are operating it inside. I think it is mainly just a fitting on the throttle, not sure what all is involved though.

Wes

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, a buddy of mine has a buggy on propane and his oil is perfectly clear after 17,000 miles, not one oil change... He cuts his filters open and it was perfectly clean as well. Propane has none of the by products of gas like carbon buildup. Also has a higher octane raiting, 103, which means you can run a higher compression, something I'm doing in my buggies engine. I don't see any reason not to go to Propane, even get full service at the gas station :anitoof:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
What kinda mileage would u be able to get with it??? like say if you bought $10 worth of gas and 10$ of propane...how far would the propane get u compared to gas??? its a good idea tho...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very close to the same, usually it's a +/- 1 mpg. So if you got 10 before you could get 9 or 11 after, just depends on quality of parts and lines used mostly... And the quality of the propane of course. More people get better than get worse though.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I don't know any names of the companies that have kits, but there are many out there for your style truck. Running propane isn't a bad idea, but you lose power with propane. A lot of ranchers run propane around here, but switch back to gas when they haul a load. But like you said you can change your compression to take care of that problem. I don't think they are to big of a deal to setup. Not a bad idea, you have plenty of room now to hide a propane tank.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
alot of the city trucks here are propane. there should be some kits readily available, there are many chevys in the city fleet here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts