GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I bought a set of mirrors for my truck off the net. Things got all f'ed up so I had to reorder them. I am having a local body shop paint them for me, but anyways, my question is how do I wire up the puddle lamp part? The mirrors that came on the truck are power and heated. Will the new ones with lamps just simply plug right into the existing harness and work? Or do I need to do some wiring to make the puddle lamps work? I think Belmont put these on his truc, but I could be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
99-02, pull the triangular piece off your door, inside behind the mirror.. check the harness for these wires. 03+ you have to pull your door panel.

Most likely they'll already be wired, could be wrong, and you'll have to run wires inside your cab, and tie into your headliner harness, dome light.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. It is a 2001 Sierra. I know about the harness inside the triangle piece. I wasn't sure if my truck was prewired for the upgrade or not. So I will have to do some minor wiring to make them work when the doors open?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
it wont plug and play if your an 01. I had do to alot of custom wiring for my '00 to work with my escalade mirrors that are fully loaded.

Matter of fact my mirrors are hardwired in the door.

An easy way to hook up the puddle lamp is to tie your puddle lamp wire into the wire for the light in the door. I think its an orange wire.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it wont plug and play if your an 01. I had do to alot of custom wiring for my '00 to work with my escalade mirrors that are fully loaded.

Matter of fact my mirrors are hardwired in the door.

An easy way to hook up the puddle lamp is to tie your puddle lamp wire into the wire for the light in the door. I think its an orange wire.
well my truck had power heated mirrors from the factory. so that part i am not worried about, just the puddle lamp. I will have to look at the wiring of it once I get them. thanks for all the info.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
the plugs are different. 03 and up the mirror plugs directly into the mirror switch. 99-02 the mirror plugs into a door harness...
Oh no shit! I was under the assumption that there were female harness ends in 03+

FUCK!

I do have to cut my harness :rofl2:

There they are, Black 10-Pin, Blue 10-Pin. SOB!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DAMN IT!!!!!!

well then is it pretty easy to wire them up or not? I am half assed color blind so wiring for me is a :nono: If it is going to be a pain in the ass, I am going to order another set of regular factory mirrors and put these up on ebay. The ones I have on order are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=330149075566&rd=1,1

The invoice says they fit a 2001-2002 Aalanche. The auction said they fit a 2001-2002 Sierra. :think:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool i will post up pics of the truck once I get my stuff back and i have my puter home for the weekend.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so I went and put these on last nite. I hooked up the puddle lamp on the mirror just like Denaliano said into the orange wire. I hooked it into the orange wire on the door light in the lower corner of the door. I close the door, the inside door light goes off, but the puddle lamp stays on?:think: Did I hook it into the correct wire or what? I am baffled at this. I tried to think of everything. So then I hooked it into the white wire on the door light. The lamp would go off when the door was open, but then when it was closed it would go on and STAY on. I need some help please!!! Do I need to hook it into the orange wire on the switch in the control panel? Some one help me please!!! Denaliano!!?!?!??!!?!?!

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Hahahahaha, the puddle light/inside door light is on a timer in the BCM. I thought the same thing at first. :wtf:

Power locks, key fob? Hit unlock on the fob....

Wait 30 seconds and it'll go off. It's a courtesy light and it's being courteous :rofl2:

You want to hook it up to the white wire in the harness going to the mirror. On the drivers side, it's the 2nd white wire in from the side. Pass side it's the only white wire.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is an SLT model if that helps. Power everything with key fob.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Do the wires in your existing mirror harness match that of the above diagram?

If so, then you only should need to wire into white and black on the harness.

What year is the mirror from?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mirror is from an 01-02 Avalanche. The harness on the mirror plugs right into the factory harness on the truck. There is just one (1) wire extra that doesn't get plugged into anything on the mirror side of the harness.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and no my switch console for mirrors and windows doesn't look like yours.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts