GMC Truck Forum banner

Puddle lamp mirrors?

28K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  shakenfake 
#1 ·
Okay so I bought a set of mirrors for my truck off the net. Things got all f'ed up so I had to reorder them. I am having a local body shop paint them for me, but anyways, my question is how do I wire up the puddle lamp part? The mirrors that came on the truck are power and heated. Will the new ones with lamps just simply plug right into the existing harness and work? Or do I need to do some wiring to make the puddle lamps work? I think Belmont put these on his truc, but I could be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

#27 ·
uhhhhhhh...... lol. Hmm. I don't see the wires I was hoping for in the harness that goes UP to the mirrors. Guess you need to have defrost or something stock.

This way seems the best bet

the orange and black puddle light wire goes to the orange wire in the door that lights up the interior light. The black wire for the puddle lamp goes to the white wire in the door. This will make the puddle lamps work, I think thats how mine are wired up.

#28 ·
That's the thing, it had heated mirrors stock. I will try what cajundragger suggested. If that doesn't work I will be back. I will give it a try tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help guys!!

#29 ·
Okay, I did the extra wire that plugs into nothing and the black wire on the mirror harness to the orange wire on the door light and the black wire to the white on the door light and the door light, dome light and puddle lights stay on. Here is a picture of the before wiring:

#30 ·
I know the wire I have the connector on is red, but it is the only one that is not getting plugged into anything from the truck harness. I am about ready to say fuck it and not even hook them up.

#32 ·
The puddle lamp ground is shared with the defrost.... the black wire on the existing harness.

Do not wire the black wire to anything. What happens if you wire the red to the orange wire in the lower door light and hit unlock on the key fob? The Light should come on and then go off after 30 seconds...?

#33 ·
The puddle lamp ground is shared with the defrost.... the black wire on the existing harness.

Do not wire the black wire to anything. What happens if you wire the red to the orange wire in the lower door light and hit unlock on the key fob? The Light should come on and then go off after 30 seconds...?
That might be the problem since the dome light works on grounds.

His stuff is different from mine as I groups all ground together on the mirror harness and had to solder all my connections since my mirrors were '03 and my truck is a 2000.

#36 ·
no blue 2 on the mirror goes to white 10 on the door.

#37 ·

i did this monday night and the puddle lights just stayed on. they never went off even after like 5 minutes.

#38 ·
does anyone want a set of puddle lamp mirrors????

#41 ·
well thanks for the help guys!!! i am just not going to use them damn things and if I ever get to a meet or something maybe someone will be able to walk me through getting these fuckers wired in.

#43 ·
I am no wiring expert or anything, but them damn mirrors are giving me an ulser trying to get them to work. I am going to have the door screws wore out by the time I figure it out.

#44 ·
Bump this thread to see if you ever got the puddle lamp to work. I got a set on the way to me and my truck does not have the lamps now, so there is no wire in the harness for the lamps. There is a ground already so I think I should just connect the lamp wire to the light in the door and they should work right?
If anyone has wired up the puddle lamps post it up in here.

#48 ·
old post for sure, anyone figure this out? im having this exact same problem and its pissing me off too!
Old post but I’m here to hopefully help bring it to a resolution. I probably need to start a new thread. I just don’t like leaving one unfinished.

I’m working on this project now. The simple way should be to cut the two wires that go to the puddle light, on the little short mirror harness sticking out of the mirror, before the connector. I believe they’re the black and orange wires (I’m color blind).

Then run those two wires down the door and tap both of them into the light on the bottom end of the door. Orange to orange and black to the white wire.

That’s pretty much what the guys in the older posts where trying to say.
Everything should work that way and they’ll turn off and on with your done light.

Now, I’m hoping to go the more difficult route of wiring them up like factory. The reason that they don’t work by just plugging them in is because those wires aren’t present once you follow them to the body harness at the kick panel. I’ll lijely be adding those wires to the body harness. This should also give me the defrost and dimmer feature.

I was on here searching for pinouts and diagrams.

#50 ·
mom struggling here… I’m doing puddle lights for mirrors as well as under glow lighting.

(Amber at night, works with turn signals)

however the courtesy power problem has literally stumped me for 6 months now. What…!!!!!

my theory is that orange is constant power, and the black power (ground) is only workingthrough a relay?? Idk..

all I know is that orange in thefoot lighting is constant 12v and when I hook my lights up to it, they are on all the time..

now the entire lighting”harness” is run off of one ground (my light strip) so I can’t have separate grounds for all 4 functions. What can I do?

the ILLUM fuse in the interior is for the headlight switch unfortunately. And the CRTSY LP fuse under the hood is constant 12v what do I do? I guess I could run without the feature but it’s driving me INSANE.

(I only came back to this problem after getting a dash camera installed hardwired into my truck w/ constant power)

please give me a text if you have anything….

#49 ·
Your on the right track. The mirror manufacturer probably has mirror motor, defrost, light all sharing same ground signal. So adding puddle light ground to door panel light white wire was giving courtesy light circuit a constant ground switch on.
The solution is to separate the puddle lamp ground from anything else and then run it’s positive and negative wires to the door panel light. The only thing gained by running puddle lamp supply wires from a central control circuit is if the factory original had outside lighting separated from inside courtesy lamps. I had a car once that keyless remote turned on all outside lights but not the interior until the door opened. Something like that would be the only reason to run wires further than simply splicing mirror puddle lamp to door panel courtesy lamp.

#51 ·
You are doing something much more complicated than everyone else. My suggestion, although rudimentary and very annoying) is hook up your puddle lights to your turn signals. They will function normally like puddle lights but will flash when turn signal comes on. Downside to this is that they will be always on at night. If I understand you properly that is what I would do.

If you just can't figure out the puddle lights turning on then I don't know how to help. Literally connect light power to your door lamp power which is orange and then light ground to door lamp ground which is black

#52 ·
I can do that for my mirrors.. but doing that for my running lights is another issue because it shares the ground with the other functions. If I tie in the underlighting to the door lamp ground like you suggest, then everything will be “on” since there is a constant 12v running through the circuit.
However does work with the mirrors, so you’re onto somewhere there!

I really don’t think there is any feesible way to get courtesy lights in the fashion they are manufactured, so what I might do is just cut back that wire for the courtesy lights and then run a new set of lights dedicated to courtesy lights. Anything you’d recommend for that?

#53 ·
Oh yeah I guess I should have been more clear. You need to cut the power wire in the harness mirror side and then run a new wire. The ground I can't remember how I did it. I think I attached it to the same ground as the harness.

You can pull the housing out and run two new wires to the door courtesy light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.