GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do all of you hook recovery straps and such? When you're getting pulled out and pulling people out.
Luckily I haven't had to get pulled out (yet) but I've always been wary of using the hooks on the front. I've heard of the ones on S10s breaking easily and when those break, it'd be like a chain breaking. It only takes one hook flying at mach 1 to kill you! haha
And when I pulled my buddy's Jeep out I just wrapped the strap around my bumper. That's ok right? Maybe..
What spots do all you guys use?

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Look around they can be had pretty cheap sometimes. 4wheelparts has sales on them occasionally too. It is def. the best way to pull from the rear IMO. It is much safer than hooking a strap/chain aruond the ball...

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
just pull your pin, put the end of your strap in the reciever and put the pin back in. Free D hook.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't even have a receiver..someone just stuck a ball on the holes in the bumper.
But the little slit right below the license plate is where I slid the strap through. Then I just put the loops through each other. It is basically just wrapped around a point on the frame.. It'll work for now, I suppose.

M

·
0 Posts
Get a receiver. No question. You'll cut a strap just wrapping it around shit like your bumper. Using a ball for recovery is an awful idea as well. They aren't designed to keep recovery equipment in place...not to mention the weak point of your bumper. When the strap lets go, it can do some damage even if there's nothing on it.

For recovery up front, I recommend some sort of metal loop. Hooks are nice, but I've deformed a couple in my time. Not very comforting :imo

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. I've always been scared when people use a ball for recovery. It's like using a chain! I already bent one of my hooks up front without ever using it! A small mud hole had a huge angle coming out of it that looked much less steep and I hit it too hard, but my vanity plate on front hit and got cracked and the hooks hit too. Now one is going straight ahead and one is angled up almost against the bumper!

Guess I'll try to talk to folks into buying a reciever for when we get atvs..

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I put the loop of my strap into the reciever and put the pin through the loop. Install R-clip and rock out. For the front I loop in onto the factory tow hook and hope for the best, so far so good. I usually make the stuck-ie hook up their own truck, but I supervise and step in if something looks a-muck.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
The one time I got stuck I got tugged out by my tow hooks, worked A-OK. Tweeked it a bit but that is what is there for!

·
Broke
1,169 Posts
Buy a hitch :imo can be had from any junk yard for cheap. Then D ring.

When I took my s10 out on the dunes I bolted up one of those universal tow hooks(made for Jeeps I think) on the frame. Its tucked away and is there when I need it

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
i have tugged pretty hard on my tow hooks with no damage to them. i've never heard of them breaking. i think they just tend to bend.

if all else fails, you can wrap a strap around the lower crossmember on the front of the frame.

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
i've been there when a hook breaks. luckly nothing went bad and we didn't fire it off in to a back window. a D ring would be the best bet. but i still use my hooks. and for the rear defenitly buy a hitch. i've seen a bumper come off before and it's not worth the small amount of money a hitch will cost. and D rings are pocket change compared to replacing a sheard off/bent to shit bumper.

·
Tahslo
139 Posts
I got a Kurt 30Klb hook that goes into my reciever. I've snatched a few stuck trucks with it, and snatched an 80's grand prix (huge) with no tires or wheels, just dead weight.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've broken a set of Titan hooks off before but whenever I have to use my front hooks I hook the strap to both of them and everything has been good so far. Then in the rear I do like other people have said about putting the pin through the end of the strap.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I need to get a D ring..they're just pretty expensive.
Wheeling is expensive. If you are going to cheap on on saftey equipment you might as well find another hobby. GO read the recovery section in the stickies and read Billavista's article on pirate. It is linked in that thread.

just pull your pin, put the end of your strap in the reciever and put the pin back in. Free D hook.
Cheapest solution and I have to say it works well if the strap fits inside the receiver tubing.

i have tugged pretty hard on my tow hooks with no damage to them. i've never heard of them breaking. i think they just tend to bend.

if all else fails, you can wrap a strap around the lower crossmember on the front of the frame.
I have seen them break all the time especially in Duhons. NBS are the wekest i have seen. They break alot.
That is ignorant. You want to pull at the frame rails, not in a crossmemner that you motor is relying on to stay centered. if that gets bent the frame rails will be bent aswell.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
wehn i use my hooks i put the strap on both ends. then in the receiver i use the pin method. first thing id do is look around on craigslist for a nice receiver

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wheeling is expensive. If you are going to cheap on on saftey equipment you might as well find another hobby. GO read the recovery section in the stickies and read Billavista's article on pirate. It is linked in that thread.
Oh I've read it. And I won't skimp on that stuff.
Just saying..
Dang.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts