GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was offroading up in azusa after a day of shooting, and i went throught this shallow mud pit, which had this deep ass hole in it :anitoof:

anyways i was buring up to the doors in mud. thank heavens it wasnt ONE INCH deeper or my interior would have been flooded! so i guess it was almost a grant.

i was stuck for about an hour then some dudes with some straps showed up and pulled me out. there was also a 2wd stock F150 stuck in the river and a 2wd NBS hoe on 20s stuck in the river worse than i was in the mud. he flooded his backseat.

it was fun, and i learned a valueble lesson, DONT DRIVE A STOCK TRUCK IN MUD :anitoof:

i wish i had a pic, but i was too busy worrying that i wouldnt get home :nono:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
That sucks.
There has been a ton of rain around here lately, I am pretty sure I will get stuck tomorrow. Its just gonna happen, and no one around for about 30 miles or so. So I have the high lift and the shovel ready.

·
Banned
487 Posts
my blazer is in pieces right now....but i was kinda offroading with one of our 18-wheelers! i pulled it into the yard and was backing under an auger and the rear tires started spinnin in the mud puddle i had to put the differential lock on :anitoof:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rules of Wheelin:

1) Don't go alone :banghead:
2) Don't go alone :banghead:
3) Bring a camera :devilfing

You completely blew it, haha, j/k. I hope you did have fun tho, wheelin is great.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a coupla guys with me, but none of us had a recovery strap :LOL: so it was dumb cuz any one of us coulda gotten stuck.

this is a GOOD lesson to buy all the recovery gear NOW. im gonna go get some straps and clevis rings to make sure this never happens again.

i just looked at my truck again, water did come in the back passenger floor area, so im gonna have to pull all the carpet up around the corners of the cab and dry everything out really well. plus i have to change the diff fluild and tranny fluid before i drive her again :bawl:

live and learn :anitoof: but its a really funny story now:crazy: expect for this new massive interior clean up project

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
That is why im ripping my carpet out and line-xing it. Ive had mud come in about 4 times now. Sucks cleaning it!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
luckily i just had water come in, if i can figure out how to get the carpet up it should be easy, damnit im so busy this week tho i wont be able to even get to it til tues. then next FRIDAY i will be able to change the fluids and drive it again :bawl:

ps- i would recommend rhino over line-x for the interior. its a lil softer. my buddy has it in his bronco, rhino rules in the cab.

·
6,656 Posts
check teh fluids to make sure they even need it. Let it sit for awhile and crack the bottom of the diff, water settles to the bottom. If your fluid is clean when it comes out your ok. If not, drain her and fill her back up with new. Good time to top off even if you dont gatta swap it. You can do teh same for the tranny. Drain the test bit into a clear glass, makes it easy to tell. Ive gotton this process down to about 5 minutes, do it every time i go through deep shit.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how high are the stock breathers? the mud was right up to the bed floor pretty much. well over the entire diff. i think the trans breather was a lil higher up so im pretty sure its ok. ill just check it and maybe do a 5 qt change real quick to be safe.

·
6,656 Posts
the rear one is up pretty damn high actually, cant remember but i think it goes way up into the side panels of the bed. Could be wrong though. I lengthened mine all the way up to the stake holes. Also its only going to suck alot if you have a drastic temp change like if its wa steh first hole you hit.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
On my body style truck the rear breather only goes up to the middle of the frame by the shock mounts. On the front it goes up under the washer fluid bottle behind the left front blinker light. May be different on the newer ones... Mine are lengthened up to the top of the firewall, yes the rear runs all the way to the firewall.

·
6,656 Posts
Yeah now that I think about it the back may only goto the bottom of the bed. I just cant remember. I lengthened them a loooong time ago. Way before I was ever lifted or anything. I left lots of slack for the lift thouhg :grin:

·
6,656 Posts
Ehh dont bother with a strap that small. I wouldnt buy anything under 30k. Ive snapped a slew of 30k ones and a 40k. Its worth every cent to buy a good strap!

·
6,656 Posts
Jason, that strap says 20' but then says select length. Can you get it longer than 20'? That would be perfect for me if it was in 30' or even longer. Problem with mud is you gatta pull from hard ground and that is very rarely only 20 feet away!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn 260 ish for a strap :head: guess ya get whatcha pay for. but with as much as you hate mud Jason, what do you really need it for?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Lets see, few things I've used it for:

1) Tree Saver
2) Pulling me off a rock I was high centered on from behind, guy behind me didn't have a winch
3) Pulling me from the side with another vehicle to get my unstuck from a tree
4) Pull a disabled vehicle back to camp
5) and so on...

Straps aren't just for mud.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts