GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
always wanting ,never get
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after having my headlamps cleared for almost 3 years on my 01 sierra i got pulled over by tracys finest today leaving work .he initially pulled me over for my front tint which is super dark so i figured yeah i deserve that plus no front plate yeah another one i deserve, but the cleared headlights i neevr knew were illegal i guess that stupid ugly reflector is d.o.t and needed to be there. so now i need to buy some stock ones to pass my fix it inspection,just a warning for you boys out here in cali that have nice front ends without those hideous reflectors.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I initially bought an extra set to black them out and I ended up keeping the originals if I ever get a ticket. Just a quick swap!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Wow thats crazy. Glad oklahoma has no inspection. But I do go into Texas a lot, so i could still get a ticket couldn't I?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its a stupid law.

Even if you have amber bulbs in a clear housing, they can still ticket you. Found that out the hard way in my Bimmer. But that hasnt stoped me. :D I got clear lights up front now with hyper wht bulbs......but I still have the stockers just incase I need to swap for a fix it ticket. Dont you just want to :pow: the "man" sometimes. Instead of getting the real criminals....they go after clear lights :think:

·
Cartmans Critters
8,871 Posts
Its a stupid law.

Even if you have amber bulbs in a clear housing, they can still ticket you. Found that out the hard way in my Bimmer. But that hasnt stoped me. :D I got clear lights up front now with hyper wht bulbs......but I still have the stockers just incase I need to swap for a fix it ticket. Dont you just want to :pow: the "man" sometimes. Instead of getting the real criminals....they go after clear lights :think:
Yep cops will go after anything thats a easy buck for the county
Think about this your tax dollars paid him to give you that ticket :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would be nice, but DOT states that any vehicel in the us has to have SAE & DOT approved lights.....clear lights are not DOT approved.

When BMWs are imported from the UK, they have to exchange the wht reflectors in the bump & lights to yellow. If they dont....they cant be sold

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Its a safety issue at night if you are on the side of the road with no lights on, reflectors can be seen from up to 4 times farther away. That's why you can't buy the fully clear taillights and just use red bulbs anymore, they were a safety issue.

Yes I agree that there are better things to pull you over for, but its not a stupid law, it has a purpose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its a safety issue at night if you are on the side of the road with no lights on, reflectors can be seen from up to 4 times farther away. That's why you can't buy the fully clear taillights and just use red bulbs anymore, they were a safety issue.

Yes I agree that there are better things to pull you over for, but its not a stupid law, it has a purpose.
Yes, it has a purpose, but still a stupid law. Look at the UK.....theres no law mandating yellow reflectors.....heck, they dont even has a speed limit on the autobahn. They dont seem to have any problems with visibility at night.

:imo you can see a wht reflector just as good as a yellow at night.

DOT just has some crazy laws......like the tint law. I think we should be able to tint our fnt windows w/at least 30% tint so the “man” can still see in. But ANY tint illegal....thats just BS! :rant:

Oh well....nothing we can do but comply or cont. to get "fix it tickets".

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
...When BMWs are imported from the UK, they have to exchange the wht reflectors in the bump & lights to yellow. If they dont....they cant be sold
Yes, it has a purpose, but still a stupid law. Look at the UK.....theres no law mandating yellow reflectors.....heck, they dont even has a speed limit on the autobahn. They dont seem to have any problems with visibility at night...
You do know "the UK" is specifically England, and not the whole of Europe, right? Just an FYI....

BMWs and the Autobahn are both Germanic, not English.

-bZj

·
OG
1,498 Posts
well after having my headlamps cleared for almost 3 years on my 01 sierra i got pulled over by tracys finest today leaving work .he initially pulled me over for my front tint which is super dark so i figured yeah i deserve that plus no front plate yeah another one i deserve, but the cleared headlights i neevr knew were illegal i guess that stupid ugly reflector is d.o.t and needed to be there. so now i need to buy some stock ones to pass my fix it inspection,just a warning for you boys out here in cali that have nice front ends without those hideous reflectors.
That sucks! I find this hard to believe because for one, the Tahoe (00-06)/Silverado (99-02)/Suburban (00-06) headlights all come OEM cleared with no amber reflector whatsoever...... the Sierra/Yukon/Yukon XL headlights all have amber reflectors in the headlights :think:

I have TYC clear headlights and they came with a D.O.T. approved card with them :think:
I have to say if I got a ticket for this, I would be pissed :flame: I totally agree this is a stupid law. I have clear corners with amber bulbs, why should it matter whether there's a reflector as long as the light output is amber. And somebody said the reason for this law is in case we're ever stranded on the side of the road at night..... isn't that what we have emergency flashers for :think:

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
z0mg why teh fuck j00 be hatin on cops lololololol why dont you just obey the law you nub roflcopter oink muwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

yeah im bored

1 - 20 of 28 Posts