GMC Truck Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to search but couldn't find any info. So has anyone done this? I've been thinking If is possible to drop a 454 or a 502 blown in an 03 sbsc. I'm not worried about it passing inspection I got that taken care of.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Why?

EDIT-Or is this some kind of stupid joke I missed out on?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why?

EDIT-Or is this some kind of stupid joke I missed out on?
There's no replacement for displacement.

Also I saw my old 454SS and I miss it and it sounded awesome very distinctive

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

Actually there's a few replacements. Ditching the sorry excuse for a performance engine the 454ss engine was and putting in a gen III style engine.

Do you really want to spend all that money just to make 220 rwhp?

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
Big block is the way to go! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually there's a few replacements. Ditching the sorry excuse for a performance engine the 454ss engine was and putting in a gen III style engine.

Do you really want to spend all that money just to make 220 rwhp?
That's over 50% loss through the tranny' there's no way, anyway I would probably go with the th350 like they did back then. Anyway horsepower sells cars tourqe wins the race

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
That's over 50% loss through the tranny' there's no way, anyway I would probably go with the th350 like they did back then. Anyway horsepower sells cars tourqe wins the race
How do you figure? Where are you getting your numbers from? Everywhere I looked the ratings were 255/405 for them or lower in stock form. That's at the engine.

EDIT-Your last sentence had my rolling. Dude you need to do some research before you go off filling your head with crazy ideas. gen I/II engines are a thing of the past and TBI engines are definitely inferior.

Do you enjoy wasting your money or do you want to feel like it's being wisely used?

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
if you want torque, buy a diesel. if you want a overall sweet motor, get a 6.0 LQ4 and put some good flowing heads and a camshaft.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I dare you to build a gen I/II 500rwhp/500rwtq engine that will cost less than twice as much as an lq4 with a turbo

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you figure? Where are you getting your numbers from? Everywhere I looked the ratings were 255/405 for them or lower in stock form. That's at the engine.

EDIT-Your last sentence had my rolling. Dude you need to do some research before you go off filling your head with crazy ideas. gen I/II engines are a thing of the past and TBI engines are definitely inferior.

Do you enjoy wasting your money or do you want to feel like it's being wisely used?
Wow where are you finding your info? the gm 454 HO are good for 425hp and 500tq. at the engine. You do realize that if your pulling up specs for the 454ss truck they had so many emissions restrictions because of the new laws the engine was worthless. so please inform me to how you figue the 454 on produced 255/405

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Wow where are you finding your info? the gm 454 HO are good for 425hp and 500tq. at the engine. You do realize that if your pulling up specs for the 454ss truck they had so many emissions restrictions because of the new laws the engine was worthless. so please inform me to how you figue the 454 on produced 255/405
As we all know every 454 ever produced made the same power.

I was simply responding in regards to this:

Do what you want, but why ask questions if you don't want to hear answers? If you want to waste your money and buy a 454 or a 502 then who is to stop you?

How much did that 454 cost putting out 425/500 by the way?

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
another option... make the 5.3 and tranny super stout and run a twin turbo setup. it will go better with the list of mods you have in your sig. navigation,22s, 2003 silverado, old 454 that sounds mean but goes slower and gets 4-6 MPG.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
SO I did a small bit of hunting around, and I found a similar engine to what you were talking about: https://store.gmperformanceparts.co...n Heads and Roller Cam &model=<!--12568774-->

So even if you could get that engine at half price, you factory in the typical 18% drivetrain loss and that engine is putting out around ~360/425. So in short you have a $6000+ engine putting down 360/425.

Or you could go the route I was suggesting.....
Used Lq4-$1000
Z06 cam/springs-$100
KBRacing front mount turbo with a T76-$4300 or so
60lbs. Siemens injectors-$400

So after everything is all said and done you have a combo that will easily put 600 rwhp/600 rwtq to the wheels for under $6000(half of your engine).

But it's ok man. What in the hell do I know what I'm talking about. You've got it all figured out.

·
//NC FL\\
1,067 Posts
im not telling you what to put in your car this is just an idea. before i built the 402 for my 01 ws6 i had a ls1 with ls6 heads with minor work,228r cam long tubes and a dyno tune and i had stock crank pully and injectors and did 430hp and 400 tq at the wheels it was a 6 speed but the point is at flywheel thats the same as you 454 you want and i did all of that for damn near nothing

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
SO I did a small bit of hunting around, and I found a similar engine to what you were talking about: https://store.gmperformanceparts.co...n Heads and Roller Cam &model=<!--12568774-->

So even if you could get that engine at half price, you factory in the typical 18% drivetrain loss and that engine is putting out around ~360/425. So in short you have a $6000+ engine putting down 360/425.

Or you could go the route I was suggesting.....
Used Lq4-$1000
Z06 cam/springs-$100
KBRacing front mount turbo with a T76-$4300 or so
60lbs. Siemens injectors-$400

So after everything is all said and done you have a combo that will easily put 600 rwhp/600 rwtq to the wheels for under $6000(half of your engine).

But it's ok man. What in the hell do I know what I'm talking about. You've got it all figured out.
i hate when you talk turbo, it kills me to not be able to spend money on my truck cause im getting myself out of debt. ive got it on the ground, now all i want is boost. live and learn, no credit cards, just cash.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
i hate when you talk turbo, it kills me to not be able to spend money on my truck cause im getting myself out of debt. ive got it on the ground, now all i want is boost. live and learn, no credit cards, just cash.
LOL, I haven't even put my turbo setup on my truck yet. Just running a little 100 shot of nitrous.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As we all know every 454 ever produced made the same power.

I was simply responding in regards to this:

Do what you want, but why ask questions if you don't want to hear answers? If you want to waste your money and buy a 454 or a 502 then who is to stop you?

How much did that 454 cost putting out 425/500 by the way?
Welp your wrong again, not all 454 are the same numbers. Care to act like you know what your talking about some more. How about do alittle homework before touching the keyboard again.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Welp your wrong again, not all 454 are the same numbers. Care to act like you know what your talking about some more. How about do alittle homework before touching the keyboard again.
Are you really that naive to sarcasm?

Read my post again until you get it.

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
Now I want a 440 BBChrysler for my truck :pissed: I guess I better get a 318 twin turbo instead :nono:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.