GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the block at the machine shop now. Going 30 over taking the crank 10under all the usual stuff. I am thinking of going with a lt1 cam and 1.6 rockers or a lt4 cam with the 1.5s. My springs are rated up to .480 lift, but i might go ahead and go with som stronger ones if needed. As for the conversion, I believe that everything changes over just fine except for the holes needing to be tapped for the spyder hold down, am I right? Two more questions that I can think of are what about the pushrod lengths? I am assuming that LT1 pushrods are what I would need to use. Next, On the camshafts there is a pin that aligns the timing gears with the cam I believe. do I need to use a vortec or lt1 timing chain, or can this be removed as suggested by one camshaft seller so that I am able to run a nonroller timing chain setup? Is there anything else anyone can think of, beside "you should have just put a LS motor in the SOB and you'd been better off", this I am already thinking! Also read something along the lines of a fuel pump drive??? I am thinkin this maybe for a mechnical pump? Thanks, Jim

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I would recommend going with something better than a stock camshaft... they are always low lift, low duration, and usually wide ass LSAs. Same with hardened rods, they are cheap enough while the motor is apart.

Sounds correct on the spider assy bolts. SBFs are like this.

What are you doing for heads? Are you staying TBI? GMPP and Edelbrock should make TBI manifolds to match Vortec heads, should be a good... strong... simple combo. I would never reuse TBI heads.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
run vortec heads

you will need a good tune to run a cam of any size in a tbi truck, speed density isnt as forgiving as mass air

as for timing can you will need one for a roller cam, a summit double roller will be fine

you wont know pushrod lenght untill you check valve train geometery

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for heads, I am running Dart S/S Iron Eagles, 1.94s/1.50s and 165cc/72cc. I was just promised a LT1 camshaft and pushrods from a guy at work. I haven't seen the cam yet so i don't know 100% what I have or what kind of shape it is in. I figured I would give it a look over and mic the lobes to see if I can tell anything. I am a bit skeptical about using a used piece when I could spend another $100ish for a new lt1 cam or $130ish and have a lt4 hot cam. Money Is definitly an issue and I shouldn't have taken this thing as far as I have, but everyone can understand how one GOOD deal leads to another GOOD deal! But if everything else is new, why a used cam unless most everyone agrees that a roller cam maybe ok to reuse. Anyways, I am understanding that I would need a timing chain from an lt1 engine. I did have someone tell me about removing the pin on the end of the cam so that I can go with a nonlt1 timing chain. Does anyone agree?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
leave the dow pin and use the timing chain for a roller cam. buying used roller cams is ok, a stock lt1 cam will be fine for awhile but i would step it up since you have a nice set of heads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.