GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much wider is the wheel opening on the Qsteer bed than a standard fleet side wheel well?? I know, I know, this might be the wrong place to put this but... I was wondering, because I'm sure you could go this route and put some pretty good size meats under there. :D something like a 30X14 slick???

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the width from the fender lip to the leaf spring... because thats what hits first.... If I could pull it off, my truck would tuck some 12.50 wide M/T's at least :D maybe even bigger, and I would go to like a 305 or 315 street tire without having to narow any axles or move any springs around.

BTW Matt... I was looking at a pic of your truck a little while ago when this little crazy plan popped into my head :kiss:

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Should gain 2.5" per side. Stock bed: ~78", Qsteer: ~83".

-bZj

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just the width from the fender lip to the leaf spring... because thats what hits first.... If I could pull it off, my truck would tuck some 12.50 wide M/T's at least :D maybe even bigger, and I would go to like a 305 or 315 street tire without having to narow any axles or move any springs around.

BTW Matt... I was looking at a pic of your truck a little while ago when this little crazy plan popped into my head :kiss:
you dont need to run a wider bed for only a 305. i run 305s on my rear in summer and they dont stick out. and 11.50s for slicks for last year. if you go this bed you best be running some sick like 15 wide

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
305's wont fit with my drop... I have already tried... I will be running 12.50 slicks this year. I want them to tuck.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
you dont really need that big of a slick though, unless you want them purely for looks. lots of cars are deep into the 7's on a 10.50 tire

·
Registered
603 Posts
305's wont fit with my drop... I have already tried... I will be running 12.50 slicks this year. I want them to tuck.
thats odd you say that i have plenty of room with my 3/4 drop for my 305s. hell i could run wider if i found some

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you dont really need that big of a slick though, unless you want them purely for looks. lots of cars are deep into the 7's on a 10.50 tire
yeah but as you know, launching a truck on leaf springs id TOTALLY dofferent than a drag car set up to specifically run on that size tire with an adjustable 4 link or ladder bar suspension... Looks would be one of the aspects I'd take into account but I have heard of WAY too many truck guys spinning out of the hole even with 12.5 wide slicks and cal tracs....

I dont want to have wheel spin. I know a certain amount is necessary for the top fuelers but I'm not 7-8K hp yet LOL...

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
i know its different for street cars, but ive got 10.5's on my truck and have no slip at all. Also my last car(87gt-procharged 347, 5 speed) would launch at 4500 on 10.5's and cut 1.4x sixties. LOTs of cars stick like glue to the track with that small a tire. top fuel is a totally different catagory.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
10.5W is the slick to run IMO, once i get my 5.3 built, i'm gonna figure out a way to change the rear over to struts and hopefully the hotchkis leafs are really spungy because the truck will need it.

Dave

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I always wanted a stepside bed on an HD.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hitman X. A local dealership in the town I work at has a RED GMC STEP SIDE DIESEL2500HD. I had a double take one day as I couldnt believe it. Now I see it all the time. I'll be sure to get you some pics! Sorry for jacking the thread a little.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Sounds badass! :rocking:

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
I guess i should say, im not trying to talk you out of running a big tire, just letting you know the capabilities of the smaller one. Would the 305's be on a set of 20's, or what kind of rims?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think I'll have too much of a problem getting off the line with a 3600 converter, 4.10's and a 150 shot... 2" more tire wouldnt change much IMO... it would definitely help on the top end of the track.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess i should say, im not trying to talk you out of running a big tire, just letting you know the capabilities of the smaller one. Would the 305's be on a set of 20's, or what kind of rims?
either 18's or 20's.... most likely it will be a set of 20's off a new Tahoe...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts