GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am going to look at a rear end that is supposedly out of a '97 3/4 tony chevy work truck. This will be to replace the 10 bolt in my 1/2 ton. I don't know if the truck was 4 wheel drive or not, but it has 6 lugs and drum brakes. The guy says he had it rebuilt a few years ago and then the truck was in an accident. My question is, how do I tell if it's a semi-floater or full floater just buy looking at it? Also, he does not know what gears are in it. Can you tell by making one full revolution with the wheel and counting how many times the pinion gear rotates?

Thanks!

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
If it has 6 lugs it is probably a 14sf. Without pics you cannot tell.
14FF
Notice the Hubs stickout out past the wheel.
14_bolt.jpg

notice the shape of the housing.
0323091405.jpg

14sf
Notice how the hubs are not sticking out past the drums/ wheels
2863424190_656b52a8ee.jpg

notice the shape of the housing.

M

·
0 Posts
It's most likely a semi-floater as there were no 6 lug full-floaters from GM. Be sure to measure it's width (from one wheel-mounting-surface to the other) and compare to the axle you're replacing. Not all of them are the same width.

As far as the gearing, I would recommend you simply pull the cover off the differential. Count the teeth on the ring gear and the teeth on the pinion gear. Divide the ring gear count by the pinion count to get the ratio. For example, the diff may have 41 teeth on the ring gear and 9 on the pinion. 41/9 = 4.55555...or 4.56.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
I know where an 8lug FF is, but there are NO 6 lug 14's around here anywhere.

·
concrete *******
1,923 Posts
sorry for the hijack but i just picked up an 8lug ff. well actually i'm trading a turbo for it.

anyone know the width of it?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
There are diff widths for FF's look on Pirate4x4 tech section and read the 14 bolt bible. It has all the listings.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
:shrug: I see them all the time, usually in running driving trucks though. It's like more than half of the OBS 1/2t's I see have the 14b SF diff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,

Thanks for the info. That's some pretty noticeable differences between the FF and SF in those pictures so I should be able to tell when I look at it. I don't do any serious off roading, just the occasional farm trip and deer season. This will be more for piece of mind and I need to swap gears anyway, so I might as well build a decent rear end.

He's asking $200 for the whole thing drum to drum. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again!

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I payed $200 for my 4wd 14SF. It sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I talked to the guy and found out that the axle is still under the truck. He says he will give me the springs with the axle for $200 if I remove it myself which I can do. Anybody know if these springs will bolt up to my '04 GMC 1/2 ton? It's from a '97 K2500.

Thanks!

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
all the trucks are 63" leafs.

If your pulling it from a truck it should work.

4 dr tahoes are 54"

2 dr tahoes are 52"

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
all the trucks are 63" leafs.

If your pulling it from a truck it should work.

4 dr tahoes are 54"

2 dr tahoes are 52"
why are the tahoes smaller springs? Less room for the extra few inches or what?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info wagon boy. I will take my tape measure just to make sure, but it is coming out of a truck. Do you know if there are any differences in the shock mounting positions? Are the eye holes the same diameter? My hope is that I can change the gears and put in a decent posi and have a worry free rear axle that I can just bolt in , no fab work.

·
Registered
391 Posts
:shrug: I see them all the time, usually in running driving trucks though. It's like more than half of the OBS 1/2t's I see have the 14b SF diff.
Really? i rarely see a 1/2 obs with a 14sf around here. Actually i think i have only seen about 4 in my life!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts