GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new to the site and was doin some research. I currently have a roungh country 6 in. lift on my truck and looking to go bigger and was wondering has anybody ever dealt with whiplash because I was looking at gettin their 10 inch lift. I was wondering if it was a good kit or not?

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I dont really know much about that kit, but I have heard some terrible stories about them

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm well thats not good.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
cognito

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
I will never own another FTS. The version I have is said to be that like Whiplash....That being said, I'd never own Whiplash then too. As much as I hate how people want to suck Cognitos dick and how it's the best thing since sliced bread, it's a good solid kit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I looked on cognito website. It seem like a good kit and good company. It will be awhile before I get a new lift by that I mean when tax time comes around. I guess I will have to look around some more. I apprec. yalls help.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
who is mauro?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you just use the truck as a daily driver, the Whiplash kits are actually okay. They lack reinforcement and they had fitment issues in the late '90s. (Specifically the upper a-arm drop down brackets.) The hardcore wheelers make fun of their welds, but I have no clue what a good or bad weld looks like.

I think their main problem right now is their customer service. It's horrible. I've heard many stories from people regarding late shipments, missing parts, and bad customer service. I wouldn't order from them online or via telephone. If you do go with a Whiplash kit, make sure you go through a local dealer that already has the kit in-stock.

Mauro is a member on here. He has owned at least 2 previous trucks with the '88-'98 Whiplash kits. He didn't have any issues with the kits.

FTS's customer service isn't much better, but their kits are better. Cognito has the best kit and the best customer service, but they're also the most expensive and I think their kits can take a while to order.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you just use the truck as a daily driver, the Whiplash kits are actually okay. They lack reinforcement and they had fitment issues in the late '90s. (Specifically the upper a-arm drop down brackets.) The hardcore wheelers make fun of their welds, but I have no clue what a good or bad weld looks like.

I think their main problem right now is their customer service. It's horrible. I've heard many stories from people regarding late shipments, missing parts, and bad customer service. I wouldn't order from them online or via telephone. If you do go with a Whiplash kit, make sure you go through a local dealer that already has the kit in-stock.

Mauro is a member on here. He has owned at least 2 previous trucks with the '88-'98 Whiplash kits. He didn't have any issues with the kits.

FTS's customer service isn't much better, but their kits are better. Cognito has the best kit and the best customer service, but they're also the most expensive and I think their kits can take a while to order.
:word:
I will never own another FTS. The version I have is said to be that like Whiplash....That being said, I'd never own Whiplash then too. As much as I hate how people want to suck Cognitos dick and how it's the best thing since sliced bread, it's a good solid kit.
The version you have is the oldest full throttle kit made. Not to mention the used kit you purchased was torched off of the truck that it was previously installed on.. :D This was at the time that Frank the owner of full throttle had left his previous position at Whiplash to start FTS. Mike, your kit is identical to the same years Whiplash kit with very minor revisions. Your kit is actually identical to Grants (wagonboy) and he installed the kit in only a few hours i believe with no issues. And yes, they do lack durability and design, as they had nowhere near the technological improvements in design that they have today. All the kits at that time lacked durability and ease of installment. Today's lift kits such as Whiplash and Full throttle and even Cognito are all built much better now. In my opinion, I have seen Full throttle and whiplash 10" kits take very hard beatings and i wouldnt doubt they would be as strong if not stronger than the spindle cognito kit. It all comes down to personal opinion. Whiplash and Full Throttle both have horrible customer service. Cognito has awesome customer service. No matter which route you go, they are all solid kits. I just prefer full drop kits over spindle.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
no problems with mine. Went on fine. Most offroading it see's is pismo and it's held up fine. If i could afford it, i would have bought a new one but this one saved me a few thousand dollars.

Mike - what problems did you have with yours?

I like full drop kit's too like allen.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

pretty much summed it up... :shake:

i for one love my full throttle everything fits perfect and pretty nice setup even though the only thing thats fts on my truck is the front drops,steering drop and tbar drops...

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,277 Posts
i've heard horror stories about whiplash, i would check out cognito

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
again apprec everybody helpin me out. The only problem with the cognito lift is that the lift reuses the upper mounting bracket on the front differential, which I cut mine off but I am glad I saved it if I to go with the cognito lift. I will have to weld it back on. well I guess have awhile to decide.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts