GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking around for a dmax.i want either a ccsb or cclb 4x4. i want the 03+ front but also would like to know what the best year for the motor was.i dont want to go 07 or newer.did the 03-06 all have the same motor and if not which year was the best/strongest motor.i know my dads 05 has injector probs all the time so i dk if thats common or not.thanks in advance guys

·
Say no to color matching.
671 Posts
03-04.5 LB7s They seemed to get the best mileage stock but they also had injector issues.

04.5-05 LLYs First year of the emissions BS. EGR, PCV and cat on the exhaust. Also first year for variable vane turbos. All stuff easy to fix and get rid of. Known to overheat when towing big loads when it's out out. Also the connectors on the #2 and #7 injector harness will work loose. Go to dieselplace.com and do a search for V2 Rad fix for the overheating fix and also search for Ice Pic fix for the injector harness fix.

06-07 Classic LBZs First year for the 6 speed tranny with manual mode. Not sure of issues with them. I need to read more about them. Cornnell has one and I'm sure he'll chime in.

dieselplace.com will be your friend. Read over there to.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx will.so 03-04.5 will probably be my best bet right? im looking for mileage but its not going to be stock.i tow a 36' triple axle rampage trailer with 3 dirtbikes and a baja bug.plus all the extras.so its a heavy ass trailer so the overheating wouldnt be good for me.

·
Max
702 Posts
Me personally I would go for the 06. I own a 2006 2500HD Duramax and it will tow a lot of weight. I tow a trailer with a skid loader on tracks around with the 1yd bucket and power rake all the time. I have a 5" straight pipe right off the turbo and a S&B intake. That truck will tow a lot of weight. The other great thing about it is when your towing a lot of weight like you were saying you are gonna the tranny with manual mode like my 06 has comes in handy a lot.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
thnx will.so 03-04.5 will probably be my best bet right? im looking for mileage but its not going to be stock.i tow a 36' triple axle rampage trailer with 3 dirtbikes and a baja bug.plus all the extras.so its a heavy ass trailer so the overheating wouldnt be good for me.
If you can swing it, go with the 06-07 classic, the 6 speed trans won't make a huge difference but the LBZ is a great engine. LMMs aren't bad either (07+) after a turbo back exhaust without the DPF, Cat with a good tune.

·
professional smartass
5,608 Posts
If you can swing it, go with the 06-07 classic, the 6 speed trans won't make a huge difference but the LBZ is a great engine. LMMs aren't bad either (07+) after a turbo back exhaust without the DPF, Cat with a good tune.
evans right on there

also not all llys overheat ive tried mine still wont

lb7 would be my last choice

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts