GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i take my stock 1500 GMC driveshaft which has a huge diameter and use it on my duramax?

Reason I ask is because I can have this driveshaft shortened instead of my dmax stock shaft lengthened.
But the dmax shaft is alot skinnier so I didnt know if this mattered or not

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Can i take my stock 1500 GMC driveshaft which has a huge diameter and use it on my duramax?

Reason I ask is because I can have this driveshaft shortened instead of my dmax stock shaft lengthened.
But the dmax shaft is alot skinnier so I didnt know if this mattered or not
why?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
what do you mean why? Why do you think? :secret:
I mean why not just have the stock DMAX shaft lengthened? Would it be THAT much cheaper to have the 1500 one shortened (if you could use it ofcourse which I doubt) ..Id buy your 1500 one but I iz broke until my house gets built.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean why not just have the stock DMAX shaft lengthened? Would it be THAT much cheaper to have the 1500 one shortened (if you could use it ofcourse which I doubt) ..Id buy your 1500 one but I iz broke until my house gets built.
$75 cheaper to shorten and the guy said its better. dont why? dont know if its true, but it IS cheaper :D

So now back to my question :read:

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
The joints won't be the same, the 1/2 ton shaft is aluminum, not steel and you'll probably wipe it out loading the converter and jumpin on it from a stop at some later date.

Does that help.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
The 1/2ton shaft will probably have a thinner wall tube than the 3/4ton shaft.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The joints won't be the same, the 1/2 ton shaft is aluminum, not steel and you'll probably wipe it out loading the converter and jumpin on it from a stop at some later date.

Does that help.
The 1/2ton shaft will probably have a thinner wall tube than the 3/4ton shaft.
what they said, if you pick both of them up youll be able to tell a difference in weight your original one will be heavier

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
so i should defintely have my stock hd shaft extended?
I thought that was obvious? Sometimes I worry about you

1500 Shaft - aluminum and different joints
2500 Shaft - Steel and correct joints

Not only do you have a greater chance at breaking your 1500 shaft, but you'd also have to swap out the joints to make it work. So really, is that 75$ looking that much more appetizing?

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought that was obvious? Sometimes I worry about you

1500 Shaft - aluminum and different joints
2500 Shaft - Steel and correct joints

Not only do you have a greater chance at breaking your 1500 shaft, but you'd also have to swap out the joints to make it work. So really, is that 75$ looking that much more appetizing?
I just like to be very clear on things

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.