GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is a dry sump oil system? I was looking at the new LSX motors and it says it has a Dry Sump oil System. Does it take regular oil like my stock 5.3L does or what? I have asked several people at work and stuff and they said they have no idea!

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The oil pan isn't the reservoir in a dry sump system. There is a seperate unit that holds the oil and this reservoir feeds the pump. This way the pump cannot suck air and kill oil pressure and hurt bearings/valve springs, etc. It also keep the crank counterweights from dragging through the oil at the bottom of the pan and free's a couple ponies.

EDIT: Yes, your typical motor oil is used.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so its a better system than! How hard would it be to do a LSX swap in a 03 Yukon XL with the 5.3L Flex.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Very hard.

-bZj

*cough*sig*cough*

·
Registered
586 Posts
probably the hardest part is paying 13,000 for the engine. Beyond that, setting up the oil reservoir and plumbing. You're gonna have to think about the PCM. . . I'm not sure, but you might have to use the specific LS7 PCM and I don't think it is backed by an auto, so a stick conversion might be in your future as well. There are probably ways around that, though.

I'm not sure about the motor mounts - they might be different, whereas you would need some custom ones. Same with the exhaust, probably some custom header work.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure about the motor mounts - they might be different, whereas you would need some custom ones. Same with the exhaust, probably some custom header work.

Here is images of both motors, the LS1 and the LS7

LS1
LS1_mg_1.gif

LS7
06_ENGB_SMBL_LS7_01.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts