GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 95 Gmc k1500 a few months back. I have been trail riding with my friends a few times ant they think I should get a locker or spool. This is my first truck. I've got a free 3in body lift and am working on some 33's. So i'm not sure what to do. I looked at a quick lok but they salesman said it was loud and not ment for the street then tried to sell me a Limited slip. so what do you think, what do you guys use?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Well definatly dont get a spool for the street. They are a chunk of metal to bolt the ring gear to so it is 100% locked all the time, no questions asked. If it isnt locked, your axle is in more parts than it should be. As far as a locker they ALL will be a little less street friendly then what your used to. You MIGHT have the g80 locker in it now (check your RPO codes in the glovebox for g80) if you do it is a locker, sorta. Its a gov-lock when means it wont lock if your going faster than about 15MPH. Its also very weak and a common failure point in your 10 bolt axle. If I were to get a locker I would get a detroit - solid design thats been proven again and again, but its about the worst on the street. The quick lock really isnt to bad on the road at all from what I hear.

·
6,656 Posts
BuiltNotBought99 said:
you should definately get a limited slip setup if you drive it on the street.
LSD are for pussies :kidding:

But seriously, lots of people run lockers on the road, its not to big of a deal.

You also have the option of a selectable locker, you use a switch, lever or whatever depending on the model to lock and unlock it. They are little more pricey though. An example would be the eaton e-locker.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Go with a regular old detroit locker in the back. You get rid of the weak carrier and spider gears. I've seen 10 bolts with detroits last through some hard abuse with 35's. Something they would never do open or with a gov-loc.

·
6,656 Posts
snigbertese said:
doesnt auburn have that locker which is limited slip then you can lock it?
Yes its called the ECTED, im not sure if its available for our 10 bolts yet but I think it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts